Thread: Tipping guides

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    I used to fish with a guide often in FL...one day I told him "look dude if you pick up a rod and fish with me I'm not tipping you"
    I woulda tipped him anyway since I always did but he said no client ever asked him to fish with them.

What I learned that day was how a dude with years of knowledge put the bait right where it needed to be. Helped me a ton to learn the flats around tampa
    It's funny, when I am out with a client they almost always ask/tell me to fish with them. That said, when we come to a spot/area I know may hold a good fish I always point it out to them and sit back and watch.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim R View Post
    It's funny, when I am out with a client they almost always ask/tell me to fish with them. That said, when we come to a spot/area I know may hold a good fish I always point it out to them and sit back and watch.
    After several trips he even let me drive his Pathfinder!
    Real cool guy, taught me more about Tarpon than I could remember
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

Quote Originally Posted by Les Brown View Post
    I have only tipped cows.
    Even after buying them drinks?
    Crown Royal field tester

4. "That dude" at the ramp colreb2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Brown View Post
    I have only tipped cows.
    A noble pastime in our part of the country.
    Possibly the only past time in Starkville, MS.....but they ain't "tipping".

5. Member
    I've used a guide once at Disneyworld. I gave him a big tip because he didn't fish, he let me fish a plastic worm most of the day (caught a 7 lber) then took me to a place close to were he docked where we had solid fish for almost a hour (and another 7 lber). He asked me if I wanted him to bait the hook or if I wanted to do it myself, he made sure there was always a baited line out, and handed me a couple of 4 lbers to land, and was a good net man. I gave him a big tip, because I had a great time.

So if the owner of the restaurant waits on you, no tip?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpig556 View Post
    So if the owner of the restaurant waits on you, no tip?
    Lol I've wondered about that too. It actually happens a good bit a local Mexican restaurant because even though they are really good and really popular the owner waits tables too. Real nice guy. I always tip.

8. Member
    I feel bad for not tipping now, but in my opinion i'm paying you 500 dollars a day with the chance of me catching or not catching fish. Does that amount not include everything? I tip a waitress/waiter to clean up our mess and for their service. They don't get the food payment. The guide provides the entire trip.

9. Member
    Tipping is the responsibility of the customer. It starts with the initial reservation. Letting the guide understand your objective is the first step. If the guide understands that and relays it back to you then you have communicated. If he delivers , then it is the responsibility of the customer to tip. 15-20% is a starting point.

A lot lot can be accomplished with the initial reservation. No sense going out with someone who is incompatible with your purchase requirements.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    I have a question. I have a guide/tourney prep trip booked in the future. The cost is $500. And that is out of my boat. Im provideing the gas, oil, drinkinv etc. so in this case is the $500 fee the guide is charging not enough?? Its not costing him a thing except his time. And he is making $500 n 8 hours. Just seeing what your alls thoughts on this is.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bayouXpress View Post
    I feel bad for not tipping now, but in my opinion i'm paying you 500 dollars a day with the chance of me catching or not catching fish. Does that amount not include everything? I tip a waitress/waiter to clean up our mess and for their service. They don't get the food payment. The guide provides the entire trip.
    They do get the food payment though. They have a job because of the food payment. They get a base salary, however small, because of the food payment. Just like the waiter/waitress can't control the food, a captain can't MAKE the fish bite OR make the client be able to capitalize when they do. Yes, the guide provides the trip. You tip for the service/effort on top of the trip.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Tipping is the responsibility of the customer. It starts with the initial reservation. Letting the guide understand your objective is the first step. If the guide understands that and relays it back to you then you have communicated. If he delivers , then it is the responsibility of the customer to tip. 15-20% is a starting point.

A lot lot can be accomplished with the initial reservation. No sense going out with someone who is incompatible with your purchase requirements.
    Having a conversation about realistic expectations with clients is an absolute must. Before every trip leaves the dock I take 5 minutes and sit down and ask my clients what they want to get out of the day. Some people just want to catch fish, no matter what. Others want to target only big snook or redfish or tarpon whether they land one or not. Knowing this before you leave the dock and being able to give a realistic expectation to your client and also to give yourself some idea of what you need to be doing is critical. If I was a serious fisherman and we went and caught ladyfish all day I'd be pissed. I have people that think it's the best thing ever. Knowing the client and delivering on the expectations you set is the key to a successful guide/client relationship.

I was a guide for 15 years. If you booked with me as you explained, my fee would not be the same as if we took my boat/gear/etc. I ALWAYS said a tip is a way to show appreciation for a good day on the water (not always meaning a day catching on the water) but a tip is NEVER expected. Period. And not needed in order for me to make a profit on the day. I can count on one hand the number of times I didn't get tipped. Guiding is work and I am a hard worker. Did we always catch fish? Nope....but it wasn't for lack of trying.

I have a question. I have a guide/tourney prep trip booked in the future. The cost is $500. And that is out of my boat. Im provideing the gas, oil, drinkinv etc. so in this case is the $500 fee the guide is charging not enough?? Its not costing him a thing except his time. And he is making $500 n 8 hours. Just seeing what your alls thoughts on this is.

14. Banned
    On a few saltwater charters, I was told by different captains that they don't keep tips but rather give any tip money straight to the mate; basically the mate's only pay comes from tips. Of course these were $750+ per day charters, so a 20% tip meant the mate got $150+ for his efforts for the day. If someone didn't tip for the day, the mate was usually very mad. On one charter we squared up with the captain plus tip at the conclusion of fishing, the captain immediately gave the mate the tip money, on the boat ride in the mate told us some stories of other clients and how the biggest insult he ever had was that someone tipped him with their cheap leftover beer, which was Natural Light.

15. Member
    The better the service the better the tip regardless of if we catch fish or not.

Ive had guides work their butts off that were friendly, personable, and did everything they could to help me.

Ive also had a guide that had a BFL the next day and all he did was pre fish for himself. I got front boated a ton and he would catch a fish and leave. I didn't give him anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12