1996 Mercury 175 EFI dying in rough water.

I have a 175 EFI that dies in rough water. On days with a 1.5' chop or less it does just fine, but any more than that it will take off just fine but after a few hard waves it will just shut off. I put it in neutral and it fires right back up, and it will eventually die again. This weekend I had a full tank of gas, probly 5/8 tank of oil, after it dies I pump the bulb and it's very firm, no alarms going off. I'd just like to narrow my search on finding the problem, any help is appreciated. Powerhead was replaced in 2006 and only has 130 hours, fuel filter was replaced a few weeks ago.

2. Member
    I would check all connections: at battery, on motor-canon plugs, 12v connections, kill switch, etc.. search on here for canon plug to know what to look for.

3. Member
    ^^^^^What he says, sounds like something is loose

4. Member
    Loose ECU drivers could also cause this problem. The EcU can most likely be repaired.

5. Member
    Does an alarm sound? I had the same issue and a quick beep would happen when it died. The ignition switch went bad, replaced haven't had a issue since.

6. Member
    Check the connections on the electric fuel pump. I had the same issue and one of my connections was loose. Tightened it up and haven't had an issue since.

7. Member
    I pulled the canon plug, it was a little dirty so I cleaned it and spread the prongs just a little and added dielectric grease. Checked under the cowling for any loose connections and couldn't find anything. Also changed the spark plugs just to be sure. I really won't know if anything worked until I get out on some rough water. I looked under the dash for any other plugs, didn't see anything, is there something I should look for under there?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden scott View Post
    I pulled the canon plug, it was a little dirty so I cleaned it and spread the prongs just a little and added dielectric grease. Checked under the cowling for any loose connections and couldn't find anything. Also changed the spark plugs just to be sure. I really won't know if anything worked until I get out on some rough water. I looked under the dash for any other plugs, didn't see anything, is there something I should look for under there?
    Test run it and see how it does.... be sure to report back.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor