Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDS 12 at bow....

Let's see some mounts and hear some ideas.... as much as I hate to say it's almost to big to mount up there but I'd like to see what others are doin for options on a ... cougar FTD thx

2. Member
    I will work on getting a picture (boat is in the shop :(...) but I use a Sherm's Mount for my Pantera Classic. It has the graph a little high, but then again I am a tall guy (6' 4") so I still have plenty of visibility for safe navigation.

I used the big ram mount up front, forward and to the right of the pedal, works fine in big water and running. I have a 12 on the bow and on the console in Sherman mount

4. Member
    I am in the process of installing new toys this week. I have 2 HDS 9 gen 3 units. Using a balzout 6" mount on bow and BBT mount at the helm. Here is a pic of a dry fit last night with TM pedal in place just to see where I want to mount the base. I will be finishing the bow unit tonight running the Ethernet cable. Per BCB I drilled a 4" access under the pedal to be able to through bolt the mount. I am using a piece of rubber under the base on the top side and then cutting a piece of poly cutting board for under the bottom for the washers and nuts to get a good seal and surface area strength. The access cover plate is surface mount, so I will cutting some washers out of the poly board and making four washers to raise the pedal about .25" to clear the new access cover. I tell ya, that hole is nice because now you can actually get your hands under that area real well. The tricky part will be mounting the rear transducer shield and L bracket on the jack plate. This one drills and taps into the side cover on the JP.

Attached Images Attached Images

Thx!! I didn't tap mine just drilled it through and used a pair of 5/16 bolts was easier!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbass225 View Post
    Thx!! I didn't tap mine just drilled it through and used a pair of 5/16 bolts was easier!
    Yeah but if you do that you cant adjust the plate without removing the ducer.

Pm me I can try and text/send ya a pic tonIght.... mine had enough room at the bottom not to interfere

So,how was it drilling that hole? Does the pedal need spacers under to clear the cover for the access hole? Did you get cover from BCB? How did you determine where the hole should be? Sorry for so many questions,I'm considering doing the same.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-action View Post
    So,how was it drilling that hole? Does the pedal need spacers under to clear the cover for the access hole? Did you get cover from BCB? How did you determine where the hole should be? Sorry for so many questions,I'm considering doing the same.
    It wasn't all that bad just marked it and offset enough to get my arm to reach the nuts. Just put masking tape down first mark and go for it. Yes I will make some washers to raise the pedal a hair. Yes the cover came from BCB. Here are a couple pics of it after secured. Rubber on top and poly board underneath.

10377.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]277672[/ATTACH
    10380.jpg

10. Member
    I wish icould post a pic on here, but ive got two helix 10s at the front of my cougar
    Paul

11. Member
    Paul

12. Member
    On twin short arm d size ram mounts
    Paul

13. Member
    Okay guys finally done. Burned the midnight oil and everything is installed. Here are the brackets I used for my 9's. I don't see why they would not work for 12's.

Little of topic but do you guys lower the larger 9-12" units when your running in rough wate? My 12" Helix is on a RAM mount and I usually move it down in rough water because I'm worried about too much stress with the weight of the Helix 12. I'd like to change the bow mount from the RAM to some other type.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Little of topic but do you guys lower the larger 9-12" units when your running in rough wate? My 12" Helix is on a RAM mount and I usually move it down in rough water because I'm worried about too much stress with the weight of the Helix 12. I'd like to change the bow mount from the RAM to some other type.
    I guess you could to be safe. But I have a 5" poly backing plate on the under side with 4 1/4 20 bolts. The base is only 3 3/4" so the plate is covering more surface area. I don't see it going anywhere. I don't usually fish in too rough of stuff.

Very nice!!! I mis understood the jack plate threaded holes.... mines a hyd therefore I wouldn't have the problems you talked about... but looks like it turned out good!!

17. Member
    Two 12's mounted at the bow of a Puma FTD on Ram mounts. Ram knobs removed and the underlying brass nutt tightened with a socket, I remove and install the units via the gimble knobs. Rock solid zero issues.
    Last edited by Archpro; 04-03-2017 at 08:27 AM.

18. Precision Sonar
    Precision Sonar Over & Under Mount http://precisionsonar.com/

Precision Sonar & Outdoors
    Home of the Patented Smart Bracket Console Mounting System
    email: ryank@precisionsonar.com
    phone: 270-703-6133

WOW!!! That is sweet looking.... I actually couldn't justify purchasing one of the high priced mounts so I am putting the 12 in dash and put my 9 upfront with my smaller gps (520) I'll post a pic when I'm done fabricating

I keep reading about drilling an access hole. I can remove my cup holder and stick my arm through that hole and reach under the tray where the graph mounts. No need for me to drill a hole. Unless you have fat or short arms you should be able to reach the underside through the cup holder hole. Maybe my cup holder whole is bigger than others. I have the SS cup holders that have a 4in hole.
    Last edited by mossie3; 04-07-2017 at 02:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast