Can I fix this myself?

So I went for a little afternoon fishing trip and well 5 min into the ride I lost power. Tried to restart and made a awe-full noise and won't stay running got back to the ramp found this.

My question is can I fix this myself I'm not a mechanic but very handy. Do I need to worry about metal shavings in the cylinders? 04 Opti max 225 serial #ot834033 and also what part is it and I can't remember if a belt was there as well. Thanks for any help to come.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I'm the same as Stumpbuster wouldn't let me log on last night. I've found out its the air compressor looks like its just plug and play. Is it easy to replace yourself?

I think when something goes in the compressor you have a high likelihood of metal getting into the fuel system. Hopefully, someone else can confirm or deny this. If that has happened and you don't clean it out then you could end up doing much more extensive damage.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    Rails and injectors should be cleaned and verified, replace both oil return line filters, replace compressor, and have your dealer run an oil pump prime sequence. Only two places I'd send my rails/injectors, Integrity Injection (Don Weed) or Brucato's.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    SilverFox579 ​What he said.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +3 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Moving this to the 3L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor