Fishing Courtesy

Respect for fellow anglers is evidently a thing of the past.

I usually take things in stride for the idiots, but this Saturday on Falls Lake had the worst displays of sportsmanship I have ever seen in my 45 years of bass fishing. Several times boats blew by on plane just to set down 20 yards away. In one instance, a family in a jon boat crappie fishing just about got swamped out by the boat wake.

I have fished several major tournament trails over the years and for the most part the anglers show respect for each other and share the water. However increasingly this appears to be a thing of the past. But then again I see similar behavior on the Raleigh roadways.

Enough ranting from an old man (I feel a little better).

2. Banned
    It's just like driving on the highways now days. Someone will cut you off in traffic to make up 1 car length. Same on the water. You just have to realize that people have no respect anymore and just keep fishing.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    It's just like driving on the highways now days. Someone will cut you off in traffic to make up 1 car length. Same on the water. You just have to realize that people have no respect anymore and just keep fishing.
    That's the problem right there.

4. Member
    I think we as veteran anglers need to start calling these folks out for there unsportsmanlike manner.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barhamt View Post
    I think we as veteran anglers need to start calling these folks out for there unsportsmanlike manner.
    You are probably gonna need to be a badass or be packing heat. People are stupider than anyone else, especially these days.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet20vee View Post
    You are probably gonna need to be a badass or be packing heat. People are stupider than anyone else, especially these days.
    I got a habit of telling people what there doing wrong at the ramp. My wife thinks I'm going to get my ass kicked sometime.

7. Member
    I rather for a bass boat to go bye at top speed than slow down and idle by, he will wash you then, the bigger issue is these ski boats and center console boats that want get on plain, these ski boats and tubing guys, will sit in one spot and go around run up river 1/4 mile then do it all over again, so why should I respect them when they don't respect me and I was there before them, I've had them ski right up to my boat several times, so it don't bother me when I run by them, I do try to look out for the small jon boats and small kids in them, but when you under the limbs its kind of hard to see you.

I too feel "call it out" if done politely is in order but not in a matter as to start a fight on the lake . As well if you know it a contestant in a tournament get his boat number and let the tx director know what went on. Before a tournament begins IT SHOULD BE ADDRESSED AS A SAFETY ISSUE BY ALL TOURNAMENT DIRECTORS (SMALL & LARGE GROUPS)! Almost every set of TX rules state "NC boater safety rules & regulations apply and non-sportsmanship behavior as UNACCEPTABLE. A tournament contestant breaking these standards are subject to disqualification" As a member of these organizations you should bring the issues up till the directors to address these rules. I know and hope these idiots are not only tx anglers but someone has to start somewhere to address these issues. We as NC ANGLERS should all get together with lake owner associations and sign petitions send the wildlife commission to band these damn wake/ballast boats from making such high waves and playing cursing and foul language openly
    CALLING IT OUT,,,WHERE ARE/WERE YOU AT PARENTS??,,,,,,,,,,, WHERE HAVE OUR AMERICAN STANDARDS GONE?????
    getto I'M AFRAID!!!!!
    Last edited by Frank A; 03-27-2017 at 07:46 AM.

2006 RANGER 519VX
    200HP MERCURY OPTI-MAX
    Sole member of " THE FISHERMEN FOR LIFE" a fisherman that knows one can make the difference!!

9. PECo
    I boat and fish with a lot of different people, both men and women, and one of the things they all have in common is that none has a big ego, at least when it comes to fishing. We go fishing for peace and quiet, personal satisfaction and fun. It seems like a lot of people fish to boost their egos and that always seems to come at the expense of others.

When I see boaters or fishermen acting like selfish brats, I feel sorry for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    I got a habit of telling people what there doing wrong at the ramp. My wife thinks I'm going to get my ass kicked sometime.
    And, OH_Ranger, if you see me doing something wrong at the ramp, PLEASE tell me!

10. Member
    Saturday on Jordan wasn't much better. Boats on every point and I swear every center console and wake boat for 50 miles was on the lake! Was a long day on the water between the waves, the wind, and a slow bite.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

Nothing surprises me on the water anymore and I mean nothing! Have you watched how people drive on the road these days? Makes no sense why they're any different on the water. From now until it turns off cold, I all but refuse to go anywhere around the water on the weekends and if I do it's at night.

12. Member
    I was also on falls Saturday, did not see any dis respect or unsportsmanlike behavior.

13. Member
    My son and his partner had their HS tournament out of Barton Creek on Saturday,my boats in the shop so a friend took them out. He said they shared a lot of water but nothing out of the usual for a Saturday in March at Falls. And all the teams they talked were nice to the kids.
    The boat ramp was a zoo with their tournament, another club and the ABA but everyone played nice in the parking lot. I got his truck for him when I got there for weigh in and he was in the second spot from the front and two guys motioned for me to back on out in front of them. But they were fishermen. Wouldn't expect that from a ski boat or a pontoon.
    It's too bad one bad apple gives all the rest of us a bad reputation in my opinion.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225