NEMA system - Trying to get amount of fuel used.

I am trying to set up my Lowrance HDS Touch 9 to show how many gallons of fuel I have used. In reading my owners manual for my Lowrance, it says that i need one of these fuel used sensors.

1. Lowrance Fuel Flow Sensor
    2. Lowrance Storage Device
    3. An engine interface with fuel used output capabiltiy

So, my question is how do you tell if your motor has a fuel used output capability? Do any Yamaha's have this ability?

How has anyone else get their fuel used amount?

I have a 2008 HPDI.

2. Member
    I have the nmea 2000 hooked up with to my garmin with the yamaha engine interface cable. It's a 2009 VMax and it will show fuel burn rate. You just have so set the limits on the GPS unit and it will calculate how much you have left in your tank.

3. Banned
    A Yamaha motor does not have any fuel used capability. The motor does provide instantaneous fuel flow output. From which a number of devices can calculate fuel used and fuel remaining. With or without any additional sensors. Just depends upon which device is being used.

4. Randy Walker
    As Kpro said.. there is an interface cable that hooks to a connector inside your motor cowling. I believe it works on motors 2005 or 2006 and newer... I have an 06 and it has the connector and capability, my buddy has an 04 HPDI and it was not compatible with the interface.

If I remember right... the plug is grey and I think yellow inside... mine had a cap on it that we had to pop off..

Good luck

I have seen where to set limits on the Lowrance, but it doesn't keep track of what is left in the tank. Or at least I can not figure out how to set it up.

Jethro1, does a data manager device store the fuel used? From the motor, I think I am getting gal/hr used.

6. Banned
    The Lowrance needs a storage device to keep tabs on fuel used.

http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowranc...522_082707.pdf

7. Member
    So just plug the EP-85R into the NMEA network back bone? No other nmea fuel flow sensors are needed?

8. Banned
    No flow sensor needed. The engine outputs the flow rate. The MFD then does the calculations to add, subtract and store fuel data in the storage device.

Basically you tell the device the tank size. Let's say 50 gallons. The motor tells the MFD 10 gallons an hour are being burned. One hour goes by. MFD reports ten gallons as being used. It subtracts 10 from 50 and says there are 40 gallons remaining.