Thread: 225 efi

225 efi

I recently purchased a complete 2003 225 3.0L EFI drop on powerhead. I have a 1996 225 3.0L EFI mid, will the 03 head be a direct bolt on and what will I need other than a powerhead gasket? Will the harness and wiring all plug and play from the 96 to the 03?

silver skin, black fuel injected heart

2. Member
    I think the power head will bolt up . On the wiring it depends on which shift you have , may need to buy a adpater . You my want to watch your water pressure also . I think the 1996 lower ,didn't have low water inlets and the lower unit that came with the 03 had low water inlets ?

3. Member
    Thanks, the lower unit has been updated with the newer version. I just know the 03 powerhead is totally different that the 96...in regards to starter, alternater, pcm, intake
    and coil configuration. I wasnt sure id the block was the same or if i needed a different exhaust plate on my mid section.

4. Member
    Correct on motors . The 02 is a down draft one like the optimaxs and has more power over the old one ,if not mod . I would check on the cowling and skirts ....may need it do a little mod ...but i may be wrong .....i do know it will bolt up .

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

It will bolt up and work... however, it would be VERY wise to verify the adater plate and tuner that is in-place on the earlier model (BY SERIAL NUMBER). The early-style tuner will NOT work with that later powerhead.

Cowlings ARE different.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor