TM 4-Wire System Revamp - Replace or Combine Wiring?

Howdy guys

I run a '97 19' Alumacraft 90hp tiller. The boat has 24V TMs both bow and transom. The factory wiring is the 8-ish ga 4-wire setup, with the jump to 24V in each plug. Each + lead (4 of them) has a 40 Amp glass fuse. I am converting to the 24V jump at the batteries. I have purchased 2 new 60A breakers to get rid of all fuses. I have a couple choices regarding the wiring to the receptacles. (1) I can gut and replace the 4-wire setup with 6 ga, or (2) I can utilize the existing wires, doubling them up (with stacked ring terminals) for each + and - connection to the breakers, battery -, and receptacles. With option (2) I realize I would still need 6 ga jumper and leads to breakers.

Any advantage to one option over the other? $ is not really an issue in the grand scheme of things, and replacement would be relatively easy, pulling the 6 ga through the existing split loom while pulling the existing wiring out.

Regards

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Exactly what TM at the bow?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Exactly what TM at the bow?
    Currently, MK Autopilot 70 on bow, MK Maxxum 74 on transom. Buddy has a Vantage 80 that may be going on transom.

4. Member
    I would just get new wires. I melted some wires on my old boat and that is not fun.

5. Member
    I kept the "old" 4 wire system for the last 10 years. I have a Minnkota 74 variable % speed Maxxum, it has worked fine.