Mercury 200 vs 225

Im currently boat shopping in hopes of upgrading from my 90hp boat to something much bigger / faster. I really want something with a 250 but just dont see those in my price range. I am seeing mainly 200 and a few 225.

Ive set the age limit on what im looking at to no older than 2000 models. Seems most of the stuff in my price range is 2000-2005.

What kind of speed difference will I see between the 2 hp ratings. I would also love to hear what kind of top speeds you guys are getting with the 2 hp ratings.

I know there are a lot of variables such as boat brand, how its rigged, etc etc. Im just trying to get a ballpark idea of what to expect.

Can't even begin to give a ballpark other than 3-10mph probably without knowing even what kind of boat you're looking at. Lots of difference if you're looking at big loaded Ranger or and Allison or a fish 'n ski of some sort or even a pontoon. A 225 on some Allison models will run close to 100mph. A lot of boats out there would struggle to do 65 with a 225.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Can't even begin to give a ballpark other than 3-10mph probably without knowing even what kind of boat you're looking at. Lots of difference if you're looking at big loaded Ranger or and Allison or a fish 'n ski of some sort or even a pontoon. A 225 on some Allison models will run close to 100mph. A lot of boats out there would struggle to do 65 with a 225.

Yeah I knew when I asked this I probably wasnt gonna get the definitive answer I want. I guess if it helps lets just say im looking at specifically Rangers since I seem to see several for sale in my price range.

Go up a few forums to the Ranger section and you may find your answer in there. I bet you could ask about the specific models you're looking at and they'd be able to help you. Good luck!
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Go up a few forums to the Ranger section and you may find your answer in there. I bet you could ask about the specific models you're looking at and they'd be able to help you. Good luck!

Good call.
    Thanks

Most bass boats (not including the Fast boats) will run mid 60's - 70 with a 200, high 60's - low 70's with a 225. Talking normal loaded speeds, not empty boat down river speeds.

Every brand is different, but boat speeds are talked about on here a lot, should be able to find some good reading on any brand in which you are interested. Just remember you are going to read some exceptionally high or low numbers here and there that are prob not realistic.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    Ranger section ^^^^^^^ best place
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................