TXW 175 adding a jackplate question?

My son recently purchased a 2017 Tracker TXW 175 w/ 60hp Mercury 4 stroke and is not happy with the speed. He regrets not upgrading to the 75hp and is trying to find a few more miles per hour.

As of now, ready to fish with 2 guys, he is getting 36mph,...would a small jack plate give him a few more miles per hour?

2. Member
    IF that is gps speed that is good. I got 2013 txw 175 with 75 all i get is 37 to 38 mph.But boat has super heavy load,mini tackle warehouse lol.Lots of people say they are running better speeds but they take out all weight then post top speed numbers lol.Yes it could stand a little prop work but in all reality it wouldnt amount to much in my opinion. I would want it worked over a little to not blow out on sharp turns not speed.

3. Member
    Also gas tank is to dang big,but i guesse if it wasnt so big i would pack more junk that i dont need lol

4. Banned
    A micro jacker may help a little.

Quote Originally Posted by mrc.in.wi View Post
    A micro jacker may help a little.
    A couple MPH? Any down side to consider??

Quote Originally Posted by tnmark View Post
    My son recently purchased a 2017 Tracker TXW 175 w/ 60hp Mercury 4 stroke and is not happy with the speed. He regrets not upgrading to the 75hp and is trying to find a few more miles per hour.

As of now, ready to fish with 2 guys, he is getting 36mph,...would a small jack plate give him a few more miles per hour?

You should check to see if that is how speed. If it is really good and not read off the speedo..... 36 MPH loaded down with TWO people and fishings gear and gas --- with a 60 HP motor..... Man, that ain't bad. He must have had a pretty good wind at his back that day. GPS is the only really reliable speed. These analog Speedos are seldom right.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

I agree, 36 mph is pretty darn good for that load. I get around 38 consistently. But I've tweaked but all I can get out of a 60 or 175 . That's with a stainless steel prop and a 3 inch jack plate when my wife is with me. And I used to have a 21 gallon tank for fuel I still only got 35 to 37. But if you're interested I got a 3 inch Vance adjustable jack plate. That I don't mind parting with.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

8. Gray
    I have the 2015 Pro 175 TXW with the 60 and I have hit 36 only a few times but mostly 35. That's me and full load. With the load you described 36 is awesome.

9. Member
    1-2mph is about the most you could expect, providing you're running a SS prop. If tin prop, don't waste your time. My old 17' Starcraft would hit 34 with the old stack 4, 40hp Merc 2 stroke because it had a Vengeance SS prop.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

I feel lucky just by getting mine to plane out
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

With an average load and 2 people mine will hit 36.
    Same load with just me and perfect conditions I hit 38.5 twice.
    35 is probally my all around average.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

I get to 38-39 every time. I'm only 170 lbs and normally by myself. You are good at 36 with 2 people. 75 wouldn't be but 4-6 mph difference if that. Speed doesn't get fish in the boat, the fisherman does.

2016 Tracker 175txw w/60 HP Merc
    "New Generation" Vinyl Flooring
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Garmin Striker 4dv
    Minn Kota Maxuum 70lb Variable
    Minn Kota 3-Bank Charger

Marine Corps 2007-2013

13. Member
    36 MPH on GPS is a very good speed for your set up. I own a 2012 175TXW with the 75 Merc and I GPS 41 MPH @ 5600RPM, 19pitch alum prop. As to adding a jack plate, there is really nothing to be gained. GPS speed and RPM are the key indicators.

14. Banned
    I don't understand why you guys are so concerned with speed. So it takes a minute longer to get to your spot. It must be bragging rights.

15. Member
    It sounds like if your son wanted a faster boat he should have bought a used boat with a bigger motor.

16. Member
    Loaded with 2 big guys I have hit 34 but that is not a consistent 34. If I tried again tomorrow it may be 32 or 33. When you are talking such small differences in MPH, water chop, temperature, wind, etc have a lot to do with it, too. We are in the wrong boats if we are looking for speed. I figure I can keep up with most of the pontoon boats and sometimes overtake them. That is usually enough to make me smile.