In need of some electronics opinions

So not trying to start a lowrance vs hummingbird war here...just indecisive about what to get. I've had both in the past but sold everything off and now I'm starting over. I'm looking at 2 units right now. I know a little more about lowrance than I do birds...

Lowrance unit I'm looking at is elite 9ti with total scan

humminbird is the gen 1 helix 10 si

i can probably get the lowrance for a decent deal off a sponsor here and I can buy the helix 10si for $890 new in the box. The helix seems like a pretty good savings off retail.

I need units for the bow and console. I don't really need all the gadgets. Just looking for 2d(chirp would be a plus), down image, side image, maps, and sharing of waypoints.

what would you do and why?

2. Banned
    I have Lowrance graphs Gen 2 and 3 on my boat. I hear Garmin is the way to go. I would check Raymarine also. Lowrance doesn't repair any units. They will sell you an up grade. The rest will repair your units. It is a hard decision. I have 4 graphs on my boat and way too much $ invested to change now.

3. Member
    There are some killer deals on the Garmin Echomap Series right now... After 2 months of research that is the route I went.
    BassCat Puma w/ Mercury 250XS
    Ranger 195VS w/ 200 Mercury EFI- SOLD
    Champion 181 w/ 150 Mercury EFI- SOLD

4. Member
    Where did you find Garmin echo map deals?

Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    So not trying to start a lowrance vs hummingbird war here...just indecisive about what to get. I've had both in the past but sold everything off and now I'm starting over. I'm looking at 2 units right now. I know a little more about lowrance than I do birds...

Lowrance unit I'm looking at is elite 9ti with total scan

humminbird is the gen 1 helix 10 si

i can probably get the lowrance for a decent deal off a sponsor here and I can buy the helix 10si for $890 new in the box. The helix seems like a pretty good savings off retail.

I need units for the bow and console. I don't really need all the gadgets. Just looking for 2d(chirp would be a plus), down image, side image, maps, and sharing of waypoints.

what would you do and why?

The Gen1 Helix 10 SI does not have CHIRP anything and does not have a dedicated DI sonar crystal. It has a DI View this is generated by blending the two SI pulses. The Helix series does not share mapping, but will share all other sonar and GPS data.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    So it sounds like the helix won't do what I want. I did look into the garmin particularly the 93sv. But the whole no down image crystal scared me away. It probably shouldn't though, as humminbird has done it without it. Will the garmin share waypoints if I have 2 on my boat? And how is everything else on them, like sidevu, downvu, and the 2d? It'd be nice to have good maps also but most the lakes I fish here in eastern Pa probably wouldn't be covered anyway. How do their maps compare to lowrance or humminbird

7. Member
    My personal opinion, take it for what its worth, have only run Lowrance units...

Best bang for your buck, run a HDS G2 touch unit at console w/ LSS2 and 2D (2 separate ducers at transom, gives you 2D, SS, and DI). Run a G3 w/ totalscan at bow (1 TM ducer for 2d, DI, and Side Scan). Then NMEA them together to share waypoints.

Again, haven't run the other units but I am very happy with that setup.

In regards to mapping, the Insight units are OK, but i much prefer running a Navionics chip. You should only need one chip, can share via Ethernet if you wish to run that as well
    Last edited by jkarol24; 03-26-2017 at 09:23 PM.

I've been using HB since 1984 and love them. I had a Super Sixty flasher first and then later that year the LCR series came out, so I bought an LCR4000. I thought I was in high cotton. But I have to say, I've got a Lowrance on the bow and a Bird on the console. Like both real well. The HB is more user friendly, but both are excellent units.
    Last edited by WVBullet; 03-27-2017 at 12:11 AM.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    I'm not sure how relevant this will be due to the screen size difference, but I will throw it out there anyway. I have been looking at the Helix 7 SI G2N and comparing it with the Lowrance Ti 7. What I have found is the Ti seems to be the best bang for your buck feature wise for the features I'm looking for. One of the major features that is very important to me is Structuremap. Lowrance has it and a structure map can be created and saved as an overlay live on the water. With the Helix you can make an overlay also (side imaging mosaic) BUT you have to spend $250 more to buy AutoChart Pro. Plus you can't do it live on the water. You have to do it at home on your PC and then transfer it to your unit for later use. For that total price I could buy the bigger Ti 9 and still save money. Another feature that you may consider important (especially if you are trying to make the most accurate Structuremap possible) is the Ti has 800 khz SI and the Helix doesn't, but the Helix has CHIRP SI which may make it about the same image quality. I'm not sure as I haven't been able to see comparisons. Although you can't use the 800 khz side imaging and use the CHIRP on your 2D sonar at the same time with the Ti unit. However, if you like a touch screen that is another Lowrance plus.

Having said all that, I still think I have settled (reluctantly) on the Helix for three main reasons. One is that Lowrance doesn't seem to have greatest customer service from all the posts I have read. Two, is Lowrance doesn't seem to want to fix their units. Instead they like to give you a "deal" to upgrade to another unit which suddenly makes them a much more expensive option. Third is that I strongly dislike the idea, extra hassle and expense of Insight Genesis. I think Humminbird is much better in these area's. I just wish I didn't have to spend a lot more money with HB to get the same functionality as the Lowrance Ti. I'm not happy with HB about that part.
    Last edited by October1; 03-27-2017 at 12:27 AM.

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Also look at the Axiom 9 for around 3050 you can get two units networked together. This includes the two units an extra 2d in hull and network cable!
    Bow have 2D chirp and DI but can also see the back transducer 2D chirp, DI, SI and 3d.

I use this on ledges so I can see that the front of the boat is in 10 ft and the back 18ft or similar to know how you are relating to the drop.
    Also can do live updates on the Navionic+ card and get updates for the units via wifi and chart updates off the phone.
    3 year warranty and 10 year support after the production date.

WFTB

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    So it sounds like the helix won't do what I want. I did look into the garmin particularly the 93sv. But the whole no down image crystal scared me away. It probably shouldn't though, as humminbird has done it without it. Will the garmin share waypoints if I have 2 on my boat? And how is everything else on them, like sidevu, downvu, and the 2d? It'd be nice to have good maps also but most the lakes I fish here in eastern Pa probably wouldn't be covered anyway. How do their maps compare to lowrance or humminbird
    Garmin doesn't network with any of the trolling motors out there do they? It might be nice to have that option.

12. Member
    I don't think so. But I just got a brand new fortrex last fall anyway so it doesn't apply to me. Would be nice though

13. Member
    Cabelas, bought some gift cards from Sams Club at a discount ($500) and used them when ordering. Saved $150 total on 2 new 93sv CHIRP units.

14. Member
    My question is where did you find the Helix 10SI for 890 NIB? I'd jump on that deal if it's offered publicly.