Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xb 2003 first ride postponed

I thought I was gonna get my boat from the shop yesterday and finally get to put it in the water, wishful thinking. Mechanic got my powerhead back on, everything put together and running. He has already told me that need to get my ecu rebuilt/reflashed or buy a new one. Now the fuel pump isn't working right and the pressure regulator is leaking. I don't know about this mercury business, kinda starting to get aggravated with the whole thing. I just sold my hydrasport yesterday with a 175 evinrude intruder, probably shouldv'e kept the motor. Buying a new ecu from brucato or having the stock rebuilt will cost more than what I've spent on that evinride in 12 years. Rant over.

2. Member
    Sorry to hear! I've had some rather crummy luck with My motor as well. All I can say is make sure it is in the hands of someone reputable!

3. Member
    Look up Hoffman marine in Tennessee. He canchange the injector drivers quite reasonably and add a custom curve if necessary. He fixed my ecu that Simon could not at a fraction of what simon charges.

I've heard nuthin' but good about Hoffman,thinking about sending him a motorola box

what motor ?
    Quote Originally Posted by big_o_tom View Post
    I thought I was gonna get my boat from the shop yesterday and finally get to put it in the water, wishful thinking. Mechanic got my powerhead back on, everything put together and running. He has already told me that need to get my ecu rebuilt/reflashed or buy a new one. Now the fuel pump isn't working right and the pressure regulator is leaking. I don't know about this mercury business, kinda starting to get aggravated with the whole thing. I just sold my hydrasport yesterday with a 175 evinrude intruder, probably shouldv'e kept the motor. Buying a new ecu from brucato or having the stock rebuilt will cost more than what I've spent on that evinride in 12 years. Rant over.

6. Member
    Hoffman is in the Mem area. Met him on the White River, a great guy. I have heard the same that he does very good work and can reflash.

7. Member
    Motor is a 1995 mercury 225 promax, just had powerhead rebuilt. I bought the boat in December knowing the motor needed rebuilt, I figure the electronics would be good (didn't know they went bad on boats so often). If I reflash the ecu for $2-300, it's still 22 years old and at the end of its life. Simon wants $750 to rebuild and $250 to reflash and they said they don't do much on the rebuild. Anyway thats one of those "BOAT" break out another thousand deals I guess. I got a buddy that had a boat like mine with a mariner motor like my merc. He removed the fuel injection and added carbs. I'm giving serious thought to this. I've been reading up on fuel injection the last few days and it seems like people are having to constantly send ecu's in for maintenance or they're having other problems. Hopefully this weeek I will have my boat back and finally get to run it. This is the first time since 1990 that I haven't had a boat in my garage. Maybe I'm just having some kind of anxiety from selling my old boat and still waiting on the new one to get done. I think I'll have a beer!

Other than the drivers coming loose or going bad in the ECU, the fuel injection seems to be pretty solid and works well. I sure wouldn't get down on it. Simon is ridiculously overpriced. Shawn (sp?) originally from Rapair I think is doing them as well as Dennis Hoffman for very reasonable prices. If you just wanna get rid of that motor though let me know.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

9. Member
    I believe I was 300 or less for curve and fuel driver replacement from Hoffman if was a few years back though.

10. Member
    Anyone got hoffmans number?

11. BBC SPONSOR
    Dennis Hoffman is as good as they come!

This is the number that I have for him: 901-277-2151

Tell him that I said to get his @$$ to work!
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

12. Member
    I sure will Tim.

13. Member
    Hoffman now charges $370 to reflash. $770 to repair and reflash. I'm sending him mine Wednesday. Going to pick up my boat today at 10. Mechanic put a used fuel pump and regulator on and now it runs fine. He also put a new water pump on which worries me. My intruder pumped a full stream of water at idle and a double full stream at wot. This merc just dribbles at idle is this normal? Don't know what the water pressure is because the gauge is broke..... I got to get that fixed quick.

Hoffman now charges $370 to reflash. $770 to repair and reflash. I'm sending him mine Wednesday. Going to pick up my boat today at 10. Mechanic put a used fuel pump and regulator on and now it runs fine. He also put a new water pump on which worries me. My intruder pumped a full stream of water at idle and a double full stream at wot. This merc just dribbles at idle is this normal? Don't know what the water pressure is because the gauge is broke..... I got to get that fixed quick.
    Dirt dobbers love to build nests in the tube. Take a piece of weed eater string and push up into the tube. You will be surprised.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

15. Member
    Randy knows what he is doing and I'm sure he tested everything with the proper equipment to know exactly where the thermostats were opening and closing before he let it out of his shop.
    This time of year with cool water temperatures and/or cool water from the hose isn't going to produce a big stream of water until it gets up over 140 degrees and that will take a little time.

Time to enjoy the new boat! Let us know what you think.............

He also put a new water pump on which worries me. My intruder pumped a full stream of water at idle and a double full stream at wot. This merc just dribbles at idle is this normal? .
    Yes, that is normal. Once it heats up to the proper temp the thermostats will open and it will start peeing until the stats close. If you remove the cowling and inspect the lines that pee. You will see that the pisser runs directly from the thermostat housings on the top of the heads.

17. Member
    Motor seems fine, boat rides good. 3500rpm's suck! Gonna put an hour gauge where the hydraulic jack gauge is and I need a new water pressure gauge. And thecgps speedo don't work.

18. Member
    I'm biting my tongue and being a good boy

19. Member
    Do tell.

20. Member
    Oh yeah I almost forgot, my trailer floats! So....what do I do not for that? It has some drain holes along the bottom. Do I need to drill one on each side towards the front and close to the top of the frame?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast