Caracal performance with different outboards.

OK guys not trying to ask which is better a engine mercury,Yamaha, Or Etec .My question is how do they all 3 compare in performance on the Caracal? Meaning hole shot,handling and tops speed. I have a etec and love it on my Ranger. The Sho has also caught my eye after riding in a friends Ranger with it and The Mercury is a great engine no arguments.
    My question is not being brand specific but performance specific which preformed better, Yes the boat i get will be loaded with talons and a 36 volt trolling motor with the center gas tank and lots of tackle..

2. Member
    I love mercury. But if I was going with the caracal I would put a 225 SHO on it. That's probably the only model I would hang a SHO on but I feel that low to mid range torque output of the SHO matches the caracal perfectly. I have never been in one though, but have seen them in action and the SHO definitely jumped up quicker on the caracal, though loads may have been different...

3. Member
    I agree with Jay. LIke the proxs but I would have went with SHO . My local dealer is mercury.

4. Member
    I rode in one at the Classic with a SHO. Fantastic setup. Jumps out of the hole.
    Great riding boat.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

I have been leaning toward the sho but really would like to hear some reviews on the new g2 on the Caracal.

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I test drove a Caracal back during the public part of the dealer's meeting a couple years ago. It had the G2 on it. It had a decent hole shot and ran well. I didn't try to open it up however. The following March, I bought mine with the 225 ProXs. I don't really thing there is much difference. My boat has a good hole shot and will run in the low 70's. I also have the belly tank and one 26 gallon tank in the back.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

The performance on the caracal teamed with a 225 pro xs is great, Im running 36v-112 fortrex, 3 27 series batteries and a 31 starting battery. Full fuel, gear and power pole and the boat gets out of the hole well. Its running a 25p fury 3 blade. Also I am able to squish the boat into my 20x20 garage, it clears by an inch parked in there diagonally. I couldn't do that with the sho. Im still learning to drive the boat, but have seen 70 loaded with all that stuff and another passenger. Id love to drive with a sho, and not buying dfi oil would be a plus. How much more does it cost for a sho on one? I think they are pretty expensive.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

8. Member
    Still learning how to drive it but my 2017 with rear tanks and 225 SHO hits 70 easily at 5500-5600 rpm. That is full tanks of gas with 2 people in it with all our tackle in fairly choppy water. We had a tourney Friday night got caught asleep at blast off lol so was behind 3 other boats caught one of them when I finally got to where I could get some clean water and was running down the other two when we got to our spots. I know it has more in it.

9. Member
    That boat likes the 225 sho

10. Member
    Running a SHO on the back of mine. Have the rear 26 tanks. Running solo one tank full and other half I've seen 75.9. Loaded with partner I see 73. Fixing to put a hydraulic plate on it, it has more in it and will be easy to adjust on the fly with that plate.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Stip View Post
    Running a SHO on the back of mine. Have the rear 26 tanks. Running solo one tank full and other half I've seen 75.9. Loaded with partner I see 73. Fixing to put a hydraulic plate on it, it has more in it and will be easy to adjust on the fly with that plate.
    That's rolling! I have an atlas hydraulic jp on mine. Ive yet to see calm water... Interested to see how it will run raised up. I'm not familiar with hydraulic plates at all so my learning curves pretty slow on this set up
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

12. Member
    I'm ready for the plate to be in. Ordered a bobs action series, just a waiting game now. Having it powder coated red to match my poles.