Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer lock question

I have noticed that after driving down some really rough roads on the way to falcon lake that my trailer lock pin is getting bent. This doesn't seem right. Can anyone recommend a beefier lock. This is for a 2017 20 TRX.

2. Member
    Anyone?

3. Member

USA

Are you talking about the pin that goes in the swing -away tongue? If so, then the pin is defective. Maybe not properly hardened. I drilled out the safety pin keeper hole in the bottom of that pin ( to put a small pad lock on ) and it took special drill bits to drill on metal that hard.

4. Member
    No, I'm talking about latch that holds tongue on the ball. I put a pin lock in it but it keeps bending. I'm perplexed as I don't see why there should be any force on this pin if latch is closed. It's not a clearance issue as I can almost jackknife before this Lock contacts receiver.

I've been using this for 3 or 4 years and 1000s of miles in all kinds of conditions and it shows no signs of wear or bending.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Master-Lo...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Are you running the right sized ball for your trailer?
    2007 Basscat Pantera II. 200hp Yamaha Hpdi.

Quote Originally Posted by PowellSixO View Post
    Are you running the right sized ball for your trailer?
    That was my initial thought also. Are you absolutely certain you have a 2" ball and not a 1 7/8"?

8. Member
    Mine did the same thing. It was the brakes being applied that bent the pin. I bought a lock that only goes through 1 side. Problem solved.

9. Member
    Mine has a very short pin on one side and I put a Master Lock on the other side.
    Rocket

10. Member
    It is the right sized ball. It has been around for 3 tritons though. May be a little worn down I guess.

11. Member
    I also have this problem with mine. Pain in the rear. I bought em for like $10 at walmart so maybe poor quality.

12. Member
    I just went out and looked at it. I think your right. It looks like the pin I have will bind as brake works back and forth.

13. Member
    I have gone through two of those in the past 5 months. I assume you are talking about the coupler lock that is a chrome-plated 1/4" pin with multiple grooves machined in it? Mine does the same thing, and NOT on real rough roads. I think it has more to do with ramps with a significant angle at the top so that the trailer is not aligned with the truck. I throw both away, and now use the classic coupler lock that has a key, and a threaded locking barrel that runs a pin through just one side of the coupler. Had no problems with that prior to going to the through-pin, and have had no problems since reverting back.

This CAN'T be the brakes. The pin is on the fixed part of the coupler that connects to the ball. That does not move except when turning left or right, or going over some sort of angle in the road that raises the rear of the truck and the nose of the trailer to an angle.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

14. Member
    Had the same problem , brakes . was hitting on lock and bending pin . don't push the lock past the first notch . no more bent pins

15. Member
    I bought a masterlock with long opening to lock trailer to truck.I also have super master locks to lock safety chains to truck.

16. Member
    Locking chains to truck is a great idea.

17. Member

USA

I have been using a yale or master lock long shank and it has worked for 13 years on this boat and many years on others before.

18. Member
    I use a standard hitch lock, but only put the lock on one side of the coupler.

19. Member
    Could it be that the adjuster nut is loose and when you apply the brakes or hit a bump the ball clamp is slamming into the pin? That is really the only moving part in the mechanism and by the looks of things it could put pressure on the pin. All the pin does is keep that clamp from opening. Just a thought.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

20. Member
    I don't see an adjuster nut on this style surge brake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast