Problems with new jackplate TR196

I just got a new Bobs jackplate installed. They installed it through the he 3rd hole down on the engine. I don't think the engine is low enough. What hole should this be in? I'm thinking the top hole.

Also, I just had a smart craft gauge installed. Today I had 48 degree water and with a tournament load, 2 guys, and no fuel I maxed at 5440rpms and 61mph. This is a tempest 25 prop on a 2006 tr196. It has been a year and a half and I still haven't got this boat turn down to run right.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

Before you start moving the mota ..... you really need to know what your PTP measurement is currently and your jackplate travel.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    I knew that was coming next and I still didn't do it lol. I know with the plate all the way down it is less than 2.75. I am pretty sure 2.75 is the last place I adjusted the manual plate to and I can tell by skeg to ground I have ato least a half inch more clearance than I used to. I will measure today. I wasn't in a hurry to measure before because I knew where about it was and I think that is too high.

I think my boat likes a little deeper motor. The previous owner had the plate set at 3.5. It walked really easy and was a handful when I first bought it but I thought it wasn't fast enough. I started raising the motor and the chine walk completely went away but the speed dropped off.
    Last edited by XChris1632X; 03-26-2017 at 10:58 AM.

4. Member
    If the boat IS not wanting to walk, then it will be slow. Chine walk means the hull has lifted out of the water, and is now running on the pad for the fastest speed. The boat operator now has to learn to control/balance the hull, while running on the pad, to prevent the boat from starting to chine walk.

Set the PTP at 3" and learn to drive the boat, to stop the chine walk before it begins. A experienced driver can help to speed up the learning curve.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    If the boat IS not wanting to walk, then it will be slow. Chine walk means the hull has lifted out of the water, and is now running on the pad for the fastest speed. The boat operator now has to learn to control/balance the hull, while running on the pad, to prevent the boat from starting to chine walk.

Set the PTP at 3" and learn to drive the boat, to stop the chine walk before it begins. A experienced driver can help to speed up the learning curve.
    Thanks for the reply. I understand all of that I was just sharing my experiences with moving it. I have not completely learned to drive around the chine walking but I am getting better. I had just went higher with the motor because it seemed like it was lacking speed when I did get around the walking. Also, I thought through research that tritons liked it much higher than 3.5 inches.

6. Member
    I have mine in the 3rd hole and my ptp is 1" below. I've run 10 different props in the last month and a lab finished 27 trophy has been my fastest at 77.8 and I touched the rev limiter. Get that mota up

mine is 1 1/2 below and moving higher.

8. Member
    The Top Speed is wayyyyy past the BEGINNING of chine walk.........If you can't control the chine walk BEFORE it starts, you will NEVER hit Top Speed.

9. Member
    Simple. Get the boat to chine walking speed. When the boat leans to the right chine, give it left wheel. Here's the trick, you have to give it left wheel in the exact cadence in which it's chining just opposite. So it leans to the right chine, give it 20 or so degrees of left wheel. You'll get it. Left wheel center left wheel center left wheel center. Just like that. Higher engine heights will reduce chine though! Put some gas in it and go drive it.

10. Member
    I appreciate the help guys. Like I said, I understand the theory behind chine walk, the speed, and how you are supposed to be able to correct it. Like I said, I am getting better at it. I don't have enough seat time with the boat setup where it wants to walk bad. I have been able to correct the chine a few times and the boat seemed to not want to climb past 64mph and that is why I experimented with moving the plate.

In one post people will say the motor needs to be higher. In the next post people will say the chine walking=speed. At 3.5 it walked like mad at 61mph which I fully expect knowing the hull when I bought it. 3.5 seemed low from what people were recommending on setup so I moved it up. That's when I discovered speed dropped and it didn't want to walk at all so I started to feel like the boat liked the prop lower. I just havent moved it anymore since then because I was getting a hydraulic plate.

11. Member
    Are you using ALL the available trim when running WOT?

12. Member
    I have tried trim to the max and I have tried backing it off some as well. At 2.75 it definitely wanted all the trim I could give it.

Before beating your head against the wall too much, make sure your prop is in good shape. If there are nicks or dings it can slow the boat down drastically, I know from experience how much of a difference it can make.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"

14. Member
    Are you using ALL the available trim when running WOT?
    What if this answer is no?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatAvalon View Post
    What if this answer is no?
    Then he probably will never hit the highest speed.

16. Member
    Then he probably will never hit the highest speed.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the reply, still learning about all things setup. :)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJolley View Post
    Before beating your head against the wall too much, make sure your prop is in good shape. If there are nicks or dings it can slow the boat down drastically, I know from experience how much of a difference it can make.
    Before this weekend I would have said yes but now it will get repaired due to finding a road bed. I hit it so bad that it shut my motor off. I have been meaning to send it to Mark C. To have him blueprint it anyways and remove prop from the equation.