Thread: Sandhill crane

Sandhill crane

Anybody have a good recipe to share? I will be putting one on the Pit boss smoker tomorrow.

I've heard people say those things are good to eat buy me, I couldn't do it....let's see what is it.....ribeye in the sky...I think not...make me feel like I'm eating possum or something...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    is there anything you won't kill?

Not allowed here in NE, very protected bird here.....Hence the Sandhills part

I have heard of other states offering Draw for a permit though. They claim they taste like a pork chop or similar. I have seen Kabobs & just boiling the meat off with beef stock & bourbon. Otherwise I have never tried it. I guess it's better than Heron from what I have been told though

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    How was it. My son's friends in TX say they are great.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Sandhills are as fine a table fare as any bird. The "ribeye in the sky" moniker is well-deserved.

We hunted them a good bit when I lived in Lubbock... Basically like hunting geese; they decoy and react well to calling. We'd set up in milo/sorghum fields as they're grain feeders... Usually wasn't hard to get permission to hunt.

As far as a recipe, my favorite was very simple... I'd marinate the breasts overnight in Italian dressing, then throw them on the grill, rubbed with some coarse-ground black pepper and basted with a little Worcestershire and butter. As with any wild game, DO NOT overcook... Medium rare at the most.

Plate it up with your favorite side(s) and a cold, malty beverage and enjoy!
    Who controls John Gill?

It was awesome. Kept it simple with an allegro marinade, and Montreal steak seasoning. Med rare to rare. Delicious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar

Lab approved.

I really like the Allegro marinades as well, Brandon... keep a bottle or two of the wild game variety on hand.
    Who controls John Gill?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    It was awesome. Kept it simple with an allegro marinade, and Montreal steak seasoning. Med rare to rare. Delicious.
    Good to know for Future Reference

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post

Lab approved.

I really like the Allegro marinades as well, Brandon... keep a bottle or two of the wild game variety on hand.
    I usually have a couple bottles of wild but I guess I used them on some deer I cooked. I had the regular. The key is not to marinate it too long. The Montreal seasoning went real well with the meat.

11. Member
    You know.....you guys can make your Own Allegro @ home for a lot less right? Since it's almost 80-90% Soy sauce anyway. At least for around here, stores sell that one for about $8-10 per bottle.

Last one I did was Soy sauce, Tiger sauce, Lowrey's Seasoned pepper & little bit on lime juice.....Change it up & go Soy, Sriracha, minced garlic (fresh in the jar type, try the smoked garlic) and some onion powder.

Want the Balsamic one.....Start out with a very good aged Balsamic, then add soy sauce again, a type of sugar (can be brown sugar, cane or molasses if so desired), Garlic & onion powders & some pepper.......BAM.

I couldn't do it...my luck it would've been eating crawfish straight out of the wastewater treatment plant on Wheeler lake...

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    I couldn't do it...my luck it would've been eating crawfish straight out of the wastewater treatment plant on Wheeler lake...
    the sandhill are grain eaters. The meat is truly like eating a great steak. Matt if you ever get the chance try a bite. My wife, daughter, and son all liked it.

I know they eat grain, but they also eat other stuff too...like snakes and worms and lizards and mice...they're like a turkey, they'll just about eat anything they can get into their beaks and swallow...they use that beak to get down the air hole of crawfish in swampy areas...and that would be my luck I'm telling you...it would taste just like Ingalls Harbor...
    And I can't do wild game any rare...had to be just to the edge of cooked...it's a fine line....there are too many things out there that can and will get you in undercooked meat...I'll do beef for me and maybe for you on my grill but you have to ask me for it...if not I've got it perfected to get my food cooked just right where it's done...

Jonathan Hillstrand

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    You know.....you guys can make your Own Allegro @ home for a lot less right? Since it's almost 80-90% Soy sauce anyway. At least for around here, stores sell that one for about $8-10 per bottle.

Last one I did was Soy sauce, Tiger sauce, Lowrey's Seasoned pepper & little bit on lime juice.....Change it up & go Soy, Sriracha, minced garlic (fresh in the jar type, try the smoked garlic) and some onion powder.

Want the Balsamic one.....Start out with a very good aged Balsamic, then add soy sauce again, a type of sugar (can be brown sugar, cane or molasses if so desired), Garlic & onion powders & some pepper.......BAM.
    It does not have true soy sauce in it, Allegro is gluten free. Allegro has a soy protien in it where true soy sauce is fermented wheat. Just pointing this out incase someone has a gluten allergy. (My son does)

16. Member
    I am so jealous..... after looking at the pic I think my face probably looks just like the labs......