Banned

Over kill or not Battery and Charger

Im going to buy 2 Duracell 31 DTMAGM. Now I'm just a weekend fisherman. My charger choice is Dual Pro at 15 amp per bank. Is that to much or should I go with a Sportsman Series at 10 amp per bank. For the AGM batteries is slow charging better for them. Or will the 15 be to much.

Thanks
    Last edited by fishnmaine; 03-25-2017 at 06:53 PM.

2. Member
    AGM batteries are compatible with a wide varieties of amperages and chargers.

Your charger on the other hand needs to be compatible with AGM.
    Most chargers have an AGM mode, or are "smart" enough to detect the difference.

3. Member
    Per my experience, 15 amps is not too high for an AGM battery. That is just the maximum your charger is capable of. It would make this amount available if your AGM's need it, but it will automatically taper off once the initial jolt is accepted.
    15 amps per load circuit is stout.

4. Member
    Theoretically, the faster your batteries are recharged, the longer they will last. So, 15 amps per bank is great. IMO, that DP Pro Series charger is the best onboard charger around. Week end fisherman or not, those batteries with that charger will be an awesome set up, and, if you practice good charging habits, should last a long time.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    For the AGM batteries is slow charging better for them. Or will the 15 be to much.
    Optimas are the only AGMs I am aware of that severely limit their charging amperages. But there may be others.

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    Your charger on the other hand needs to be compatible with AGM.
    .... or are "smart" enough to detect the difference.
    ??? Am unaware of any of our popular available marine chargers that are smart enough to detect the unique presence of an AGM and as a result alter their charging profiles.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Am unaware of any of our popular available marine chargers that are smart enough to detect the unique presence of an AGM and as a result alter their charging profiles.

Minkota chargers do... But they are several hundred $$$$

7. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePech View Post
    Minkota chargers do... But they are several hundred $$$$
    Would be a very useful capability having optimal charging for a battery type without manually telling the charger what type of battery is connected. But the current D or PC series as I understand do not auto-detect the battery type.

The D series is the older charger line and does have Automatic staging, but the stages are sequenced based on charging voltage/currents during charging regardless if the battery is a Flooded or AGM; there is only one overall charging profile and it is applied to all batteries whether they be a Flooded or AGM chemistry.

The PC series does offer us different charging profiles for different battery types..an improvement over the D series. The selection of AGM or Flooded though ss manual with the selection of battery type being made by the user during charger setup.

Problem for charger designers is how would a charger reliably detect an already discharged battery's chemistry only by its connections to the charging leads when the size of the battery is unknown and can vary greatly?
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-26-2017 at 08:11 PM.