Question TR186 DC Setup Opinions

I have been running a new to me 2001 TR186 DC w/ Merc 150 XR6 for about 6 months and have some setup concerns / questions. Let me know what you think.

Trophy Plus 4 blade 24p

6" Jack plate with prop center line 4.0" below the pad. (Existing setup from previous owner)

I also have a total scan ducer that is only 10.0" from boat center-line.

Ok so the hole shot is decent / not great with 2 people and livewells full. It gets on plane and as I trim it out it will eventually have some type of caviation or loss of grip with the prop, equivalent to driving on ice. (no noticeable jump in RPM) Bump trim down and it generally cleans up. Also if you are running at 50-55 and lift slightly without trimming down it will slide the back around some like it's not in the water almost. I haven't even got to more than 55 mph to see if it'll chine walk because I fear this sliding action could end up going to far and hooking / ejection seat mode.

So from my research so far I believe I need to move the ducer further away from the centerline of boat and possibly raise the motor height. Just want to see what some of you have to say as this is all new to me.

Thanks.

TK

2. Member
    I have a 07 TR186 with an Opti 150 and 6" Jack Plate. I'm at 3" below pad. I'm satisfied with it (hole shot, top end, no chine walk). Top end is about 59/60 by myself, around 55 with two people and water in the live wells (notice I didn't say fish in the live wells).
    Can't speak about your ducer, have no experience with the total scan ducer.
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

3. Member
    Ok thanks for the info. I think I'm going to move the motor up for some testing this weekend. I'm starting to think that I'm over trimming the thing to try and get more MPH than the setup will allow me to have, then the over trimming maybe what causes the weird sliding / kicking out feeling as I bump up the trim.

Quote Originally Posted by Triton150 View Post
    I have a 07 TR186 with an Opti 150 and 6" Jack Plate. I'm at 3" below pad. I'm satisfied with it (hole shot, top end, no chine walk). Top end is about 59/60 by myself, around 55 with two people and water in the live wells (notice I didn't say fish in the live wells).
    Can't speak about your ducer, have no experience with the total scan ducer.
    I've got an '08 and this matches my experience.

Did you mount your transducer so that it is below waterline while on plane? If not, I would not expect it to impact how the boat runs.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    I've got an '08 and this matches my experience.

Did you mount your transducer so that it is below waterline while on plane? If not, I would not expect it to impact how the boat runs.
    I'd imagine the ducer is in the water on plane where I have it. Going to try moving it but if you have the same experience maybe we can find a common denominator here. Are you running a 4 blades prop? I plan to move the ducer but I'm not sure that it'll help it. Especially if you still have the same issue and yours isn't below the water on plane.

6. Member
    It's you prop choice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It's you prop choice.
    What do you suggest a tempest 3 blade like I'm reading so much about on these boats? Is it the 4 blade causing it? I kind of think that's the case but not certain.

Thanks,

TK

8. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I had an '01 TR-186 DC but it was 15 years ago and my memory may be a little off. Mine came with a 24" Tempest but I also ran a 23" Trophy (I was told to drop down 1 size when going to a 4 blade prop) that I purchased later. I was getting similar performance as you with the Trophy 2.75"" below pad on a 4" jackplate. Tempest was not much faster at 3" below pad, but the boat handled better with the Trophy.

9. Member
    my 2003 tr186 Dc loves a tempest plus 24P, early and late season I can hit low 60's and I've topped out at 64MPH, on hot days my hole shot suffers with full gas and livewells but thats the only time it suffers, this hull with my current set up 6" jp and around 3" below pad starts to chine at 56, 57 Mph

Like just about everyone with this boat and a 150 Opti, I'm running the 23p Tempest+. I did think a 24p 4-blade sounded like a lot of prop but I don't know much about your motor so was not sure.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Member
    Have any of you felt the sliding out of the back end that has me concerned? It does it when trimming up / and sometimes if the engine is trimmed up to what I feel like is a nice attitude it'll skate if I ease off the throttle some without trimming down.

12. Banned
    Ive never felt it and I usually trim up pretty high pretty early and don't mess with it much. I run a 23 Trophy or Tempest at 3 1/2' below pad on a 6" plate, you have to drive it a little the last few mph up from 60. Other than that its rock steady. The difference in top end is negligible and the Trophy is a lot less trim sensitive than the Tempest so it pretty much stays on full time, My HDS transducer is mounted under the transom setback so its out of the water running and I rely on a regular skimmer while on pad for depth.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by t_killian View Post
    Have any of you felt the sliding out of the back end that has me concerned? It does it when trimming up / and sometimes if the engine is trimmed up to what I feel like is a nice attitude it'll skate if I ease off the throttle some without trimming down.
    I trim mine all the way up when running. Mine has some type of stop included to prevent overtrim - it will only trim up so far while running. No skating when i ease off the throttle. Occasionally, (not all the time), the back end gives a very short swift kick while running. Right or wrong, I've always attributed this to a patch of "bad water", because it's so infrequent.

I think you need to play with your PTP and find the sweet spot for your boat.
    Triton TR-186, Mercury Optimax 150

I've never felt any sliding around and I also run mine at the max trim that the motor will allow. I usually start trimming it up as soon as the bow comes over and I am on plane even if I don't plan to run WOT. Only time I bring it down is for rough water and wakes or if I want to run a little slower.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    Ok that swift kick is kind of what I am experiencing and this being the first actual glass boat that I have owned I didn't know if that was something others had seen or not. Gets your attention though because you never know when it's going to happen. I appreciate all the help from everyone and I think I have some good ideas to go forward with.

16. Member
    Yep, My Ass end will kick to the side when letting off the throttle abruptly, sometimes it happen in 2' waves as well which is probably just the change in surface water tension on the hull. These are considered high performance hulls and can be unpredictable, but I can cruise all day long at 55MPH comfortably.

I also run full trim and only trim down or crossing wakes and rough water

17. Member
    Ok yeah about 2' waves is where mine happens as well most cases now that I think about it. I guess it's just the pad loosing it's grip with the water and that 4 blade prop is making it jump out a bit. Have you seen it kick far enough around to make you think it could be cause for real concern?

18. Member
    couple of times, usually makes me double check everything when I get off the water. when my seastar loosen up over time it tends to happen more often so I like to keep it tight no slop or play

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Like just about everyone with this boat and a 150 Opti, I'm running the 23p Tempest+. I did think a 24p 4-blade sounded like a lot of prop but I don't know much about your motor so was not sure.
    The 24p, 4- blades will work in the winter with air temps in the 30-60 range, other wise the 23p 3-bladed will be best in warmer temps.

I had an 01 TX186, same boat just no carpet on the deck. It ran best overall with a 23p Tempest + at about 2.75" below pad on a 150 carbed Mercury with a 6" hydraulic jackplate. Usually ran 1/2 tank or better of fuel and loaded, I could hit 61 in cooler weather 58 was normal add another person and 55-57 was top end, had a good holeshot and it would kick out in the rear from time to time which I figured could be the pad or prop bite.

At about 58-59 it would start to chine but easily controlled, the boat did great for the size in most water conditions and was about as consistent as any I have ever seen.
    2009 Triton 20X3
    Mercury 250 ProXS

"Can't" means "don't want to"