Question Jerk bait fisherman

I've never really fished a jerk bait. I have several rogues and suspenders and deep diving. Any particulars I shouldknow
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

2. Member
    Fish will eat them. What are you wanting to know? YouTube some KVD jerkbait videos or Mike McClelland. That'll get you in the right direction!

3. Member
    Just swing your rod like an Olympic fencer. That's what kvd does.

4. Member
    With jerkbait fishing, it's more about the stop than it is about the movement.
    Last edited by John Jackson; 03-26-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    With jerkbait fiahing, it's more about the stop than it is about the movement.
    I wouldn't tell KVD that. He never stops it!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    I wouldn't tell KVD that. He never stops it!
    Actually he does maybe not for long. I think what he was saying is when you stop it throw your rod tip back at the bait you want a Slack line on the pause so the bait just sits there you don't want to pull the bait. I absolutely love jerkbait fishing I have one tied on year round.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

7. Member
    Varying retrieve and length of the pause are basically the two things you want to change up until you find a pattern that works.

That is basically what they are talking about above. I usually do a jerk-jerk-pause first and change it up to there.

8. Member
    Sometimes they like short sharp jerks sometimes they like smooth pulls. Either way the pause is very important. Her wits have become a year round confidence lure for me.

9. Member
    Duo Realis Rozante 63SP

I will say, don't be afraid to downsize significantly on tough days. Using a tiny jerkbait like the one mentioned can pay big dividends on tough days. In fact, I'd say I've caught more big fish on a smaller jerkbait than a larger jerkbait. Go figure.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Fish will eat them. What are you wanting to know? YouTube some KVD jerkbait videos or Mike McClelland. That'll get you in the right direction!
    Exactly. These two guys are two of the best and they have a little different view and method.

The one piece of advice I heard from one of KVD's talks about them that really made me go from not catching them to catching them on a jerkbait was to leave slack in your line between jerks. Even though it looks like you're really ripping it, jerking on a slack line will almost make it walk in place. The slack is what really gives the erratic movement.

On a side note, there's no way to talk about fishing a jerkbait without the 6th grader in me wanting to giggle the whole time. I was also really careful not to write "jerk it."
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Heard a guy explain it in a way that made things click for me. He said think of it as a Zara Spook, just underwater.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    The one piece of advice I heard from one of KVD's talks about them that really made me go from not catching them to catching them on a jerkbait was to leave slack in your line between jerks. Even though it looks like you're really ripping it, jerking on a slack line will almost make it walk in place. The slack is what really gives the erratic movement.

On a side note, there's no way to talk about fishing a jerkbait without the 6th grader in me wanting to giggle the whole time. I was also really careful not to write "jerk it."
    Great explanation! Thanks for sharing!

What did it for me was watching Zona do a tank demo with one at an outdoors show. You could see the lure and how the fish reacted to it. I honestly had no idea what the lure did until then. So, maybe seeing some underwater footage of the lure in action would help?
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

15. Member
    Tacticalbassin has that exact video on youtube. Take a look.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    I likeum. I vary my speed and jerk / twitch style. Let the fish tell you what they want.
    Allway pause if you hit underwater wood or rock. Lots of strikes come after the bait has hit something.

17. Member
    google the youtube video of KVD on MLF where they filmed him for 2.5 hours in basically 1 spot. You will learn all you need to know.....and MORE.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

18. Member
    Once you do your reading and watching about how to do it, you have to make yourself do it. Take 4 or so rods out with different JB bait sizes and depths and bring nothing else. This makes you figure out how to find JB fish and how to catch them. I do this on any new bait I want to learn. Also pay attention to the time of the year and the water temps, this impacts the style of JB you would use (suspending, slow sinking, slow rising, fast rising).
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax