Transducer Mounting Plate Installation question

I just picked up two transducer mounting plates for my new Crestliner Commander 1850 and have a question on installing them on the transom: In the installation instructions, it states: "Hold the bottom edge about 1/4" above the bottom of the hull making sure that the bottom of the plate does not come in contact with the water." I will be installing 2 MEGA SI transducers (one on port side and the other on starboard) and a basic 2d transducer (for high speed running). If I place the transducer mounting plate 1/4" above the base of the hull, while running at a slow speed, say 1 to 6 mph, will I get any turbulence on my SI transducers by not having the plate mounted flush to the bottom of the hull? Or, am I just overthinking it...LOL! Thanks guys!
    2017 Crestliner Commander 1850, Mercury 150 4 Stroke
    2021 Crestliner XF 189, Mercury 115 4 Stroke

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    You shouldn't - I usually put a plate about a 1/8" higher than flush though.

Nice rig BTW!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply Robert and the nice comment on my new "Tank" LOL! But, why, I just cannot figure out, would they suggest putting the bottom of the plate 1/4" up from the bottom of the hull? Wouldn't you be better off mounting it flush with the bottom then the water would flow smoothly past just the same as if you mounted the transducer directly to the hull? I just want to get as perfect with setting the side imaging transducers up as perfectly as possible. I also will mount the side imaging transducers slightly above the bottom of the hull so I won't have to worry about damaging them.

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    FWIW you really have anywhere from flush to about 3/8-1/2" before you really risk much introduction of spray or bubbles I think, the pic I usually refer to depicts what you really want regardless of manufacturer or XDCR design...

At speed, it's rippin' past the transom so fast, there's no time for a gap to fill up with water, you just need the right part of the wick dipped & you're a happy camper!

Lowrance used to refer to "A smooth, laminar flow of water" as the description of what you need at high speed.

A set-back helps, but isn't necessary when the critical parts of a XDCR skim as they are designed to.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    Thanks Robert!

Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    FWIW you really have anywhere from flush to about 3/8-1/2" before you really risk much introduction of spray or bubbles I think, the pic I usually refer to depicts what you really want regardless of manufacturer or XDCR design...

At speed, it's rippin' past the transom so fast, there's no time for a gap to fill up with water, you just need the right part of the wick dipped & you're a happy camper!

Lowrance used to refer to "A smooth, laminar flow of water" as the description of what you need at high speed.

A set-back helps, but isn't necessary when the critical parts of a XDCR skim as they are designed to.

The ole transducer jackplate using a Stern Saver deal.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The ole transducer jackplate using a Stern Saver deal.

Only one of a zillion tricks we can use...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

8. Member
    The mounting board flush with the bottom edge of the transom would create a horizontal groove between the mounting board and the transom ...

This groove, in itself would create aeration at high speed ...

Rickie

9. Member
    Also, if you put it flush with the bottom the farthest edge of the mounting board would be in contact with the water because of the angle of the transom creating disturbance.