Trailer Tire Life Span ?

My stock Carlisle tires are now approaching ( 5 ) years old ...... one is not holding air pressure.

What is the life span of trailer tires ?

I am trying to decide whether to get the one tire repaired or bite the bullet and replace all four.

Also:
    Any opinions on Carlisle Radial Trail HD vs Hankook H724 ?

The Hankooks are $20 each cheaper and at least according to Tire Rack grade out very good
    http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=92936&dateline=150203  9213
    2013 Ranger Z519 / 225 Mercury Pro XS

2. Member
    IMO, I'd say they have about run out of life and would replace all four + the spare as well, but someone will come along and say, they are getting 10 years or more out of a set.

According to a Goodyear trailer tire design engineer 3-4 years old he said that there are certain compounds in the tires that are activated only when the tire is used frequently like a car tire. So since most trailer tires sit idle most of the time the rubber compound deteriorates rapidly.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael49 View Post
    My stock Carlisle tires are now approaching ( 5 ) years old ...... one is not holding air pressure.

What is the life span of trailer tires ?

I am trying to decide whether to get the one tire repaired or bite the bullet and replace all four.

Also:
    Any opinions on Carlisle Radial Trail HD vs Hankook H724 ?

The Hankooks are $20 each cheaper and at least according to Tire Rack grade out very good
    My first set of trailer tires were Goodyear Marathons, they came new with my boat in 2000. I replaced them last year (that is 16 years of life) due to running over some chunk of metal in the road.

The Carlisle Radial RH has been replaced by the Radial HD. The Radial HD is the current tire made by Carlisle and is better than the RH. You can get them delivered to your door for $67 each on Amazon. I did it a few weeks ago, they just slapped a FEDEX label on it and the guy brought them to my door in a couple days. The key is Amazon Prime where shipping is free. With Tire Rack you pay dearly for shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Radi...isle+radial+HD

5. Member
    Check to see if your valve stems have cracks. Soapy water will let you see. I had to replace mine. Tires are in good shape just lost pressure multiple times and that was the problem.

6. Member
    I follow the 4-5 year replacement plan for trailer tires. I just replaced the original 5 year old Carlisle RH factory installed tires with the Radial HD's last month. Haven't pulled the boat yet but they look to be a sturdier tire than the RH. The thing I like is the 81 mph speed rating.

I got mine from Amazon as well. Even w/o prime, I got free shipping.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

7. Member
    For my peace of mind I replace trailer tires every 3 years no matter how good they look

8. Member
    I've had two tire dealerships tell me that after 3 years your on borrowed time.....regardless of who makes em. Original Carlisle's on my trailer lasted 31/2 years......poof.....belt separations on 2 of them. Very fortunate they went down in my garage between trips.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    I've had two tire dealerships tell me that after 3 years your on borrowed time.....regardless of who makes em. Original Carlisle's on my trailer lasted 31/2 years......poof.....belt separations on 2 of them. Very fortunate they went down in my garage between trips.
    They are in the business of selling tires. Of course they will say that!

10. Member
    My tires in my 05 ranger z20 are still original goodyears. Still look good but the time is coming

11. Member
    2011 Carlisles and 2 blowouts in 2015. I store in winter and dealer told me to jack them off the floor from now on and replace every 5 years.

12. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    I once was a tire test driver for Firestone with my road sales route vehicle doing monthly checks at their test track in Ft Stockton TX. They gave me free tires if I stopped and just let them measure their wear monthly.

I learned for tire life, temperature is almost as important as miles......My West Texas tires in the summer had wear rates that were much, much higher than in winter. So someone's quote for predicting trariler tire life in Maine means little to someone living in Arizona.

Someone storing their boat in a home garage is likely going to see much longer storage life than if they stored their rig outside baking in the sun.

And btw, I put my boat/trailer on 2 jacks soon as its home so as to not get belt seperation. Not fully off the ground for safety, but almost. Reduces suspension sag too.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-25-2017 at 08:48 PM.

13. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    If your boat sits outside in the elements, you'll need to change them more often. Those of us who have the privilege of parking our boats indoors can go much longer on a set of tires.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."