Raised Cheekpiece

Is this something you desire on a rifle stock? Is it useful/practical or more cosmetic? Would you pay extra for this feature?

Been looking at new Browning X bolt .270, and the raised cheekpiece stocks run about $100 give or take more, but they also generally come on more elegant firearms that are designated has a higher grade, so that may also play a role in the extra costs.

2. Member
    I like them on certain one's, other not so much. really depends on what I doing/shooting I think.

I have shot a few rifle in past with REAL nice Monte Carlo's on them. You seem to fit better when at a more natural hold then trying to more head around all the time to get comfy I think.

Just comes down to choice & whether YOU think it's worth the added $100 or not

3. Member
    Thanks, I think I'm gonna go for it. MY LGS has this gun in stock to buy off the shelf, I could have them order one without and save a little coin, but this on is the Medallion model, has the deep blue finish on the steel and the glossy finish on the Walnut with very nice checkering. Almost looks too nice to use, but I'm pretty careful with my guns in the field, but eventually all guns will get normal wear marks and scuffs, not really a big deal there. I have never been a fan of synthetic stocks, just don't care for em.

4. Member
    I assume put have pulled up on it several times already then to see how it feels then if its in stock @ LGS?

Some rifles I have tried have real natural pull & place really well w/o much movement or effort......others, just the opposite.

Honestly though, the X-bolt is a damn nice rifle, and I think they look really good with a Monte Carlo stock.......especially wood ones like the Medallion I think you'll love it over more time.

5. Banned
    It all depends on how it fits you. I do like a nice piece of wood though.

6. Member
    It is all a matter of preference of the individual shooter.
    Question everything!

7. Member
    Ended up ordering the regular stock instead of the monte carlo stock. We have a regular stock X bolt already in the gun cabinet, and after handling it I couldn't see the need for any better feel while shouldering.

8. Member
    A lot of older rifles were intended to be used with iron sights and so had a lower stock to better position your eyes where they would line up with the sight. A rifle intended for use with a scope needs a higher stock so you can maintain a good cheek-weld while looking through the scope. A lot of modern rifles maintain the “classic” look of a normal stock for a scoped rifle with a slightly higher, but still straight, comb on the stock--but it will usually necessitate lower rings and may preclude using a scope with a larger diameter objective, and depending on your body shape can cause you to scrunch up into the scope making it harder to maintain a steady hold. A Monte Carlo style stock keeps the butt-pad of the gun into your shoulder but raises your cheek relative to the scope—it allows both using a large-diameter objective for better light-gathering or higher power, as well as allows a good cheek-weld with a more head-up position which aids your vision, target acquisition, helps with eye-strain and for many people fosters a more natural body position so it can help maintain a steadier hold. It can also allow the comb of the stock to have a flatter or even forward-angle to it, which can help relieve recoil-impact on your face for more comfortable shooting.

Splitting hairs most of the time I think.