Onboard oil reservoir

Mercury Optimax 135 S/N 0T444079

I have been bringing this motor back to life after sitting for many years and almost have all the issues worked out. The only remaining issue is I'm getting a low oil alarm from the on board oil reservoir. I purged the reservoir by removing the cap with the engine running and getting plenty of oil from the remote tank. Tested the switch and no continuity. Bypassed the switch and the alarm goes away. I replaced the switch and still getting the alarm, 4 beeps every 2 minutes. Is there something in the on board reservoir to fail?

Thanks

checked the oil tank screen?

3. Member
    just watched a youtube video about this. Apparently the magnet on the bottom of the float in the tank comes loose and the tank needs to be replaced. do a search on youtube about the problem.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    just watched a youtube video about this. Apparently the magnet on the bottom of the float in the tank comes loose and the tank needs to be replaced. do a search on youtube about the problem.
    Numerous posts here about the same thing - replace the tank assembly.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    New one on the way,

Thanks guys

6. Member
    Also, many Optimax motors need to be oil prime by hooking up to computer to be done correctly. Might double check that with your dealer if someone doesn't respond here.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Best to have an oil pump prime procedure done on the COMPUTER DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM. This helps to ensure there is no air trapped between the new oil tank and the end of the oil delivery lines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor