Total Scan on a Aluminum Ranger RT188, or any aluminum rig?

I was going to buy and mount a total scan on the back of our RT188.

I was browsing the electronics swap and sell here on BBC and found this ad: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=792935 He stated it wouldn't fit his Aluminum Ranger.

Will one not work on our boat? I am confused, thought it just mounted on the rear, any help would be appreciated.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

2. Member
    I'm running one on my boat with the 7Ti and it works fine .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

3. Member
    Oops! My bad . It's running on a 5Ti but yeah it works fine .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

4. Member
    I think the real issue with a flat transom and a transducer like that is it is hard to get it mounted just right so that it works on plane and does not drag in the water too much at high speed. Once it is installed perfectly it will work just fine.

Thanks guys. I was hoping it would work.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

6. Member
    A lot of people are concerned that since the Totalscan must be mounted so low on the transom that it is more likely to be damaged from hitting something.

7. Member
    I have one mounted about .5 above the hull. Transom welds will never give you clean water. I hold the bottom till on plane. Any lower and you drench the motor. What are you really going to do with sonar at wot? Kinda like looking for an earring on the interstate @ 70
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    A lot of people are concerned that since the Totalscan must be mounted so low on the transom that it is more likely to be damaged from hitting something.

That is the risk you take with any of the imaging transducers for any brand.

The Humminbird Helix MEGA SI transducer is $350 and the SOLIX SI transducer is more than that.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Deerchaser View Post
    I have one mounted about .5 above the hull. Transom welds will never give you clean water. I hold the bottom till on plane. Any lower and you drench the motor. What are you really going to do with sonar at wot? Kinda like looking for an earring on the interstate @ 70
    Does side imaging work if you are idling along?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    Does side imaging work if you are idling along?
    Yes, works great. I have it mouted on the channel where the bunk sits, so the only thing it sees is the motor. Trim up a little and the signal is undisputed. I fish the swamps, stumps, branches and shallow. I would want it hanging down anyways.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

11. Member
    I have a TotalScan on my 178. Works great. Lose bottom at about 20 MPH. If you want sidescan, what is the alternative? The LSS2 is just as big.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by contium View Post
    I have a TotalScan on my 178. Works great. Lose bottom at about 20 MPH. If you want sidescan, what is the alternative? The LSS2 is just as big.
    If you use the LSS2 or LSS1, you have to use another transducer for 2D sonar. The 2D sonar transducer is a lot less expensive to expose to possible impact damage. You can attach the LSS above the hull bottom out of harms way.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    I run it on my rt. I have bottom contact running full speed. It does throw a nice roost which I'm not to crazy about and with tin hulls being so thin, I'd recommend adding an extra screw in along with the adhesive so they don't back out. Or mounting one of those boards.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    I run it on my rt. I have bottom contact running full speed. It does throw a nice roost which I'm not to crazy about and with tin hulls being so thin, I'd recommend adding an extra screw in along with the adhesive so they don't back out. Or mounting one of those boards.
    Can you post a pic of where yours is mounted?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iabass8 View Post
    Can you post a pic of where yours is mounted?
    +1 Details please.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you use the LSS2 or LSS1, you have to use another transducer for 2D sonar. The 2D sonar transducer is a lot less expensive to expose to possible impact damage. You can attach the LSS above the hull bottom out of harms way.
    I guess. The TotalScan is only $300. What is the cheapest chrip skimmer? It's not like we are talking about a $1000 Airmar.

17. Member
    My boat is at the shop right now for some warranty work but when I get it back later this week, I'll post one.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

18. Member
    Not a "Totalscan" but this is where I have my Garmin transducer. I can read bottom up to 40 mph most of the time.
    It's directly in front of the trailer bunk between the trim tab and the inboard strake.

Ranger RT188 (2015)
    Mercury Optimax ProXS 115, 4" Setback Plate
    Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 iPilot 70lb
    Garmin 73SV @ Helm, 93SV Chirp @ Bow