Garmin 73SV questions

OK got a couple questions. I have no experience with any garmin products but kind of like the looks of the 73 SV. I'm wondering though how does it compare to a Helix 7 or lowrance Elite/hook 7. I don't know much about wattage or 800Khz transducers or anything like that, but the price point with one loaded up with maps is relatively close. Is the SI and DI as good or better than the other brands? What about linking units together? Is it just a cable or do I need special boxes and what not.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    OK got a couple questions. I have no experience with any garmin products but kind of like the looks of the 73 SV. I'm wondering though how does it compare to a Helix 7 or lowrance Elite/hook 7. I don't know much about wattage or 800Khz transducers or anything like that, but the price point with one loaded up with maps is relatively close. Is the SI and DI as good or better than the other brands? What about linking units together? Is it just a cable or do I need special boxes and what not.

No. Garmin SI/DI is not as good as Humminbird or Lowrance.

Garmon excels on the CHIRP 2D and Panoptix though.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Member
    I love mine so far. Been out 4 times.
    http://imgur.com/OiJCui5
    1999 pro craft 200 super pro 200hp Mercury EFI 25p trophy plus, worked by mark. large vents. 25 gallon gas one full live well two guys and gear wot 66.2 5900 rpm

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
    No. Garmin SI/DI is not as good as Humminbird or Lowrance.

Garmon excels on the CHIRP 2D and Panoptix though.
    Larry3215 do you think that this is something that Garmin is working on to improve?
    The reason I think of this is it would be bad to purchase a unit at this time and then they come out with the new one that does it all and is an equal to the other brands.
    Somewhat the same as buying a new phone or a computer.

5. Member
    I hope they are working on it. Its going to be tough for them though because of the law suit with Navico. Navico has a patent on downview and Garmiin refuses to pay them to use the technology. Its been causing Garmin a lot of trouble - look at the recent flap over the CV transducers. Rather than come up with their own version, they just removed the down elements from the bundled CV transducers and went back to stone age downview technology.

6. Member
    I can't speak to the quality difference of the mentioned lowrance units or the newer transducers, but I know that the imaging produced on my garmin 93sv with gt52hw transducer is WORLDS better across the board than the imaging produced with my HDS7 Gen3 with the WSBL transducer and LSS1 transducer (for Traditional, Side, and Down imaging). Perhaps Lowrance has stepped their game up on the newer transducers but I can't say for sure. All I know is I took my Garmin out 3 or 4 times before I pulled the HDS off and sold it to buy another Garmin.
    08 Nitro 750 / Merc 90 Classic, LaserII 20P, 46 GPS, Garmin 93sv & PANOPTIX PS21

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BudgetBasser View Post
    I can't speak to the quality difference of the mentioned lowrance units or the newer transducers, but I know that the imaging produced on my garmin 93sv with gt52hw transducer is WORLDS better across the board than the imaging produced with my HDS7 Gen3 with the WSBL transducer and LSS1 transducer (for Traditional, Side, and Down imaging). Perhaps Lowrance has stepped their game up on the newer transducers but I can't say for sure. All I know is I took my Garmin out 3 or 4 times before I pulled the HDS off and sold it to buy another Garmin.
    Your GT52 does have a down element - your one of the lucky ones.

if some one bought an echomap with a bundled transducer now - or in the last few months - they probably got the CV transducer - which does not have a down element. You will end up with much lower quality downvue images.

See the other threads going on now about this issue -

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=797744

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=798372

and others....

8. Member
    I noticed the other threads after I posted that reply. I actually just got mine a few weeks back. Brian at BBGMarine.com (board sponsor) still had some left over. Got a great price too!
    08 Nitro 750 / Merc 90 Classic, LaserII 20P, 46 GPS, Garmin 93sv & PANOPTIX PS21

9. Member
    I'm extremely happy with mine. I had a Humminbird 300 series with sideview and it was just too small of a screen to really make anything out well. My Garmin is easier to use and shows a pretty darn good picture from what I can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images