Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Ultrex 45" or 52" on my Elite 198?

So I'm looking for a little input. I have always had a 80v 45" MK on my 1998, but I am now moving to a 112v Ultrex (sick of only fishing for 7-8 hours before totally draining batteries in heavy Mississippi River current), but I can't figure out if I should go with a 45 or 52. I fish shallow for the majority of my fishing, but do get to the great lakes and other bigger lakes with bigger boat wakes. I just don't want to deal with the head unit being in my way a lot, but want to hold on off shore also. What length has everyone else gone with for their 198's and what would the recommendations be for the 198? Thanks

2. Member
    I have a 52"shaft on my 221 Elite and it works perfect both shallow and deep.

3. Member
    I have a 45" Fortrex on mine, don't like the head sticking up too high, don't like the motor too deep, I often fish very weedy places,and don't want to collect weeds,don't fish big swells much ,but when wakeboard boats go by I just let off on the power for a second or the prop will splash around on the surface a bit. If I was to fish bigger water then I think a 52" may be better.
    Nelson

4. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I had a 45" on my 187, but went with the 52" on my 198. Altho I fish shallow much of the time, I have never had problems with the motor getting in my way.

5. Member
    52 is about perfect

52"

7. Member
    I put a 52in on my 05 198... it's pretty sweet. .. you'll like it

8. Member
    Thanks guys. I think I'll go with the 52.

9. Banned
    Smart decision.

Quote Originally Posted by n_gong View Post
    I have a 45" Fortrex on mine, don't like the head sticking up too high, don't like the motor too deep, I often fish very weedy places,and don't want to collect weeds,don't fish big swells much ,but when wakeboard boats go by I just let off on the power for a second or the prop will splash around on the surface a bit. If I was to fish bigger water then I think a 52" may be better.
    Nelson
    Weeds can be a problem with every motor, even a Minn Kota. A lot of our WI. lakes are almost to the surface with weeds. Even with my Fortrex I would have had problems at times. The solution for me was a Ninja Grass Blade. It cuts the weeds off before they can collect. I've been told by others that one on each side of the motor is even better. I will be adding a second one this season.

11. Member
    I bought one a week ago. Thank I'll add another as well. Thanks

12. Member
    Hey, WI Basser, the grass blade sounds like a good way to go !
    Nelson

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WI Basser View Post
    I've been told by others that one on each side of the motor is even better. I will be adding a second one this season.
    That makes perfect sense... and I'm mad I didn't think of doing that!

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

14. Member
    I would run a 45 if running a transducer on the TM. If I was to get one with the internal transducer I would get a 52. With the internal transducer it would be. Onbig deal to move it up and down.

Has anyone had a problem going from 45 to 52 and their factory cover not fitting right? This is a concern on mine if I make a TM upgrade this season.
    LT - DCFD

16. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Just read where a guy had his Ultrex on Auto Pilot to head across to another spot...He wasn't paying attention because it was on Auto of course, and he hit a stump.
    Boat veered a sharp turn and nearly tossed him over. If he'd of gone overboard the Ultrex would have continued on it's merry way and left him for turtle food.
    Just a heads up when owning an Ultrex. It could be easy to put it on Auto, and walk to back of boat for something...Boom!...You're swimming.

17. Banned
    But the same thing happens with any trolling motor that's on constant run. Instead of driving away, it would be trying to run over you.

But I can say this, when I had a Terrova and used the remote to set the constant run, when the remote lost contact with the tm it would turn off. Now this would not be the same case if you turned it on at the foot pedal, it would be gone.

18. Member
    So let me ask yall something. Unless I'm fishing in heavy waves where trolling motor prop is coming out of water while riding the waves, why would I want a 52 over a 45 inch shaft. I rarely ever am in water like that and looks to me like trolling motor head would be sticking way high unless you have motor real deep in water. Plus, seems like would be a lot of motor length stored in boat. I've always used 45" motors with no problem. Just asking.

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I went with a 45"er. I still have the head of it like 6" up. It's on a '99, 202. No problemos at all. To add another 7" would be more than I need.
    I understand that many champs sit high in front, and mine does too... But the 45" is just fine... works for me.
    Personal preference.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    So let me ask yall something. Unless I'm fishing in heavy waves where trolling motor prop is coming out of water while riding the waves, why would I want a 52 over a 45 inch shaft. I rarely ever am in water like that and looks to me like trolling motor head would be sticking way high unless you have motor real deep in water. Plus, seems like would be a lot of motor length stored in boat. I've always used 45" motors with no problem. Just asking.
    You answered your own question, it's all about the water you fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast