Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Highend bait casters

Do the high end bait casters help prevent bird nesting over the less expensive bait casters?

2. Banned
    Have You tried a Daiwa Tatula? It is pretty hard to nest that one and TackleWhorehouse™ currently has them 'On Sale'. BUT instead of buying anything, especially something that You can label as "Highend" Try this first:

Get ANY baitcaster and walk out about 45 yds. When You have out enough line, you'll want a tad longer than your best cast w/that reel, take a piece of electrical tape to cover the width. Now reel-in the lure and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..

Also don't forget to set the brakes each time You go fishing, this is especially important if You change lures and those lures differ in weight..

• If You do buy a Tatula on this recommendation and DON'T LIKE IT, let Me know and I'll purchase it from You at the price You paid for it..

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Have You tried a Daiwa Tatula? It is pretty hard to nest that one and TackleWhorehouse™ currently has them 'On Sale'. BUT instead of buying anything, especially something that You can label as "Highend" Try this first:

Get ANY baitcaster and walk out about 45 yds. When You have out enough line, you'll want a tad longer than your best cast w/that reel, take a piece of electrical tape to cover the width. Now reel-in the lure and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE..

Also don't forget to set the brakes each time You go fishing, this is especially important if You change lures and those lures differ in weight..

• If You do buy a Tatula on this recommendation and DON'T LIKE IT, let Me know and I'll purchase it from You at the price You paid for it..

I set the brake for each lure, but occasionally I still get bird nesting, mainly when using lighter lures. I have the cheap bait casters that come with the Bass Pro Ugly Stik. I know they aren't likely to be well made.

4. Member
    Not really. You have to have a good thumb even with the digital models. They are just higher quality with a more solid feel.

5. Member
    Agree with Transom, not really, however, if you are trying to throw a light lure, maybe anything under 1/4 ounce with a stiff rod that does not load up, you are asking for trouble with a baitcaster.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob0225 View Post
    Do the high end bait casters help prevent bird nesting over the less expensive bait casters?
    Daiwa SVs do...
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

7. Member
    depends on what you call high end. I've had numerous $150 reels with great brake systems and ones not any better at $400.

casting style and lure used are big factors as well. Knowing how to properly adjust your reel is likely the #1 reason guys have troubles.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

8. Banned
    Hey Rob, I was watching Al Lindner this morn and remember this thread.. Anyways Al is extremely impressed w/the Daiwa Zillion so much that He made mention to the words "You ever want a reel that WON'T backlash? Then this is the reel..." Then He made a cast sans thumb and then another.. Here is a video:

https://www.facebook.com/DaiwaUSA/posts/902768996494028

Edit: Also see post #6 above.

9. Banned
    Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm gonna give one of the Daiwa's.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THKUSTOMS View Post
    Daiwa SVs do...
    What he said! And the new Zillion SV T wing is freakin sweet.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

IMO, the #1 requirement is for a metal frame, vs. a "graphite" (aka plastic) frame.

Beyond that, all reels will backlash occasionally, but a good reel will make a world of difference, and won't discourage you a lot, once you learn the secret to getting backlashes cleared out. There are some videos on YouTube...I think this one is the best of the bunch:

There's also a pinned topic in the "Fishing Tips and Techniques" forum here on BBC, here: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=137786

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THKUSTOMS View Post
    Daiwa SVs do...
    So I've read. My Alphas SV105 had to be one of my worst backlashing reels. Had to send it to Ian Shields to look at. Had it upgraded and tuned at the same time. Great reel now. Mine had to be the exception cuz everyone else holds the same opinion you do. I am waiting for a used SV103 in mint condition for little money to come up for sale.

13. Member
    I will never pay $400 for a reel. Backlashing is a part of owing/using a baitcaster. Get ya an $80 lews, learn to set it properly and know what rods to use with the right weight lures and your backlashes will be at a minimum. Wind will always up that percentage.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    IMO, the #1 requirement is for a metal frame, vs. a "graphite" (aka plastic) frame.
    Why does a graphite reel make a difference in backlashing?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    So I've read. My Alphas SV105 had to be one of my worst backlashing reels. Had to send it to Ian Shields to look at. Had it upgraded and tuned at the same time. Great reel now. Mine had to be the exception cuz everyone else holds the same opinion you do. I am waiting for a used SV103 in mint condition for little money to come up for sale.
    Found 3 so far. Get 'em while they're hot.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    Why does a graphite reel make a difference in backlashing?
    Its a head thing.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. View Post
    Found 3 so far. Get 'em while they're hot.
    Where are you finding them? ebay? New or used? What do you consider a good price?

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    Where are you finding them? ebay? New or used? What do you consider a good price?
    TW has them on sale for $203.

19. Banned
    I posted in the Want to Buy Forum here, and found two of them. The third I found on Tackle Tour courtesy of Bronzefly.

All were 6.3 to 1, used but mint and went for 200 shipped. Tackle trap is out, and I didn't see Tackle Warehouse having that reel for 203. It was more like 260 at the time.
    If you can get it for 203, jump on it. Once they are gone, that's it.

20. Member
    OP. Take a look at a used T3 1016 or T3 MX 1016. Of all the reels I own these are the hardest to backlash. They have the MagForce 3D braking system. The T3 Ballistic has the same braking system for a bit less.

A reel you can still buy new is the Pinnacle Primmus Xi HS. Not what many would consider high-end at $225, but high-end for me. Maybe I got lucky, but this reel has performed exceptionally well for me. I did start getting backlashes the last time I used it, but then discovered I had somehow accidentally backed off the spool tension. I always run it light, but it was nearly nonexistent. A little adjustment and it was back to norm.....no backlashing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast