Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

thoughts on market

IMHO the market rallied when Trump became President for a few different reasons.

NO new regulations, ACA would be gone, big tax cuts, infrastructure stimulus, thoughts of 4%GDP

Now, ACA is here to stay and all it's goodies that have yet to go into affect. Tax reform will be more difficult, and there certainly won't be the big tax cuts we hoped for. Not sure how we could get any meaningful infrastructure stimulus. And no way do we see 4%GDP. I think we may be in for a bumpy ride in the near term.
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    Yea, may be side ways, Who knows ? I think part of it is "Where else are ya going to put your $$" ? Real estate ? the bank ?

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Atleast we tested the 50 day.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Banned
    I'd be okay to see the market go sideways for awhile--until the political situation can sort itself out.

I just hate to see politicians doing nothing, and they have devilish motives. I cannot say one side's much better than the other. I dislike'em all.

Sometimes both sides have to compromise on a less bad deal--only to work over time to make it better. The ACA is a very, very complicated matter. And it is going to blow up and really hurt people.

Of course, I never liked seeing a net zero interest rates which has taken away income from little old retired ladies. In the meantime, corporations have borrowed funds to expand and do other things--many of which screwed up. Bank stockholders have often sucked the big wienie when banks' interest rates were not high enough to have the risk factored in.

As a eary retiree, I've made my money in the stock market and continue to play medium risky equities. And I just sold a house and have a chunk of cash sitting in a credit union--and don't know what to do with the money. Maybe I'll just buy another boat--NOT.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    the Fed minutes were released and usually, they're not market moving events. These are from the last Fed meeting, so usually all the important info is already known. But today's minutes revealed the interest of starting to unwind the Fed balance sheet. You know, all the bonds the Federal Reserve has been buying since the Financial crisis. Nothing much.........just..................4.3 TRILLION.............basically undwinding QE1 QE2 QE3 was there a QE4.....lol

Obviously this will be a slow process, and this should be a sign of confidence, but.............
    Thanos was the hero