JP Swap does the gas tank need to be removed?

Hey guys, anyone know if the gas tank in the XB-21 needs to come out in order to swap a JP that will be bolted directly to the transom? Trying to get my ducks in a row before starting and my assumption is that the bolts coming in from the transom will need to be held down in order to tighten the nuts on the JP or is there something preventing the bolts from spinning? If there is then it's a simple swap. If not and I need to pull the gas tank, how big of a PIA is that process?

Thanks again everyone!

-Mike
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

2. Member
    Simple answer is the bolts are prevented from spinning.

3. Member
    Excellent, thanks!
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Like catfish just stated, NO. I just removed my 2.5" spacers on the transom and installed a set of 4" spacers and the bolts are attached to the metal structure inside the build of the transom. That's a nice feature.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    They are somewhat designed to stay in place, the head of the bolt is tacked to a piece of metal and the metal has s SMALL set screw to hold it in place. In my case 3 weeks ago I was removing the 2" spacers to add 4" and had to tap the 4" into the bolts ( powder coating a little thick) and of course the SMALL set screw came loose. We had to undo everything in the rear and slide the tank forward as far as possible 2" or so to get an arm down far enough to hold the bolt to tighten. So as stated in above post the bolts are intended to stay in place but it doesn't always happen.

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    bass1 my 4" spacer plates were real chore as well to get on. Zero tolerance which I greatly appreciate as there was no question whether or not they would be centered and or leveled with the transom and pad. I didn't tap them like you stated but it took a lot of coaxing and a bit of grease to work them on.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P