Flow-rite remote drain plug

While I am working in my bilge and replacing everything down there, I decided to order a Flow-Rite remote drain plug. Tired of getting under the boat to put a plug in and after forgetting to put it in once and not finding out until I was far from the dock in a stump field, I figured that this would offer a little safety. It says that it requires a 1" drain in the boat. Does anyone know whether the transom drain tubes are 1" ID or OD? If anyone else has one and has any comments about them I'd like to hear them.

2. Member
    I think most standard thread in drain plugs use a 1-inch diameter hole. I switched to a flow-rite remote, which is awesome, and it was totally plug and play installing at the drain plug hole.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

3. Member
    Mine isn't a thread in. It is the smooth bore tube. I was hoping it would fit inside of it but online it just says 1" and I'm afraid that is going to be the outside diameter which will mean removing it and just sealing the hole.

Mine is smooth and this old man LOVES his Flow-Rite

5. Member
    I just checked mine and it is 1" OD. I am going to install it without the tube. What is the best way to deal the hole? Just use 4200?

6. Member
    So I'm a little confused. Are you going to install it in the current drain tube, knock the drain tube out and use the existing hole or just plug the drain tube and make a new hole? I'm probably making this harder than it is. My remote plug came with a gasket and I did not use any sealant. They do not specify sealant in the instructions, at least not in the version of instructions I got, and I suspect the reason is if it squeezes out inward it could gum up the plug and it might not close or deal properly. Obviously I'll be watching it closely first time it's on the water and if there is any leaking I may put sealant around the outside of the flange but I'm pretty sure you have to be careful to not get any inward toward the plug itself of you use it.

7. Member
    Using the existing hole which is 1". I have to deal the inside of the hole with something to protect the wood. I was thinking about costing with 4200 then letting it dry before installing. The directions only talk about the external gasket sealing from the outside.

I've got to bend over to pull the transom saver off and release the buckles. Not an issue for me to make sure the plug is physically there before I splash it. Too old school to leave that to "hope it keeps working" gadgets. But if it makes your life easier.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

9. Member
    I understand but I am just tired of getting on my knees to put it in. Once I just reached under and felt for the hole then inserted and ended up with it in the wrong hole. I've also sink a boat years ago because the plug came out several hours after fishing. I figure no system is foolproof so if this makes life easier then go for it.

I called the company and they advised me to brush on gel coat to protect the wood inside.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I would advise fiberglass resin rather than gel coat. 2 coats....

11. Member
    Ok, if that will work I'll use it. Thank you

12. Member
    Look real close at the control mechanism that pushes and pulls the plug. After buying one of those and then laying it out on my bench it came to me that the this thing that can so easily fail was not worth what I have invested in my boat.

13. Member
    My remote livewell has the same mechanism and it has held up. Looks flimsy but seems to work fine if I'm not mistaken it's the same one that Ranger installs so I'm going to use it. If it is crap then I'll switch back to a regular plug.

14. Member
    Control mechanism looks identical to the control for all live well valves and you don't often hear of trouble with the control part. And compared to a live well valve, the drain plug requires less force, as far as I can tell. I'll be inspecting it a lot at first but I'm not real worried about it myself.

And I completely agree with Lea, use resin to seal the wood, will hold up better and you can use a thinner coat than with 4200 I would think.

15. Member
    Thanks for the info. I tried researching this as much as I could. Found most people who had one liked it. Most negative things were from people who were against trying it for fear of failure. I really only saw some complaints from people in the Northern area where some had freezing issues. If it weren't for the stepped transom and getting old, I wouldn't be doing it but my knees will thank me everytime that I go to the lake. I have it in and will try to install it tomorrow.

16. Member
    You will love it! Put one on my 210 a year or so ago, make sure it clicks when closing it, shouldn't have a problem. My partner closed mine a few trips back and didn't know to make it click, had to use the bilge pump quite a bit, got on trailer and realized what happened.

17. Member
    Installed it today. I love it and so does my knees. I mounted it in the splashwell so I'll hopefully see it when I am prepping the boat.

Lea, I used the resin and was afraid it would make the hole to small. Fit like a glove and got a nice thick coat. Thanks.

18. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Excellent!!!!!

19. Dogfish_Jones
    I just installed mine yesterday and quick and easy. I mounted mine beside my drivers seat where as I can operate it sitting down. I can also operate it as I walk toward the back to release my quick release belt straps when at the ramp about to put it in the water.
    Great addition to the boat and myself. Now I will know if I forgot to put it in on a very busy launching ramp when you have like 50 boats behind you.

Got mine for Christmas. Can’t wait to install it.