Saw an RT188 with a pad hull today

A buddy from work and I went crappie fishing today.......or at least he did, I seemed to be a spectator most of the day!

We were fishing along, and down the lake comes a Charcoal RT188. They pull in above us and fished for awhile, then was idling out and got close enough I couldn't resist and hollered over at them. I asked how they liked their boat. The guy in the front hollered back and said it was a prototype boat. I could clearly see the RT188 on the side and asked what was different. He said it had a pad hull under it. I asked if he meant like the RT198 and he said yes. He went on to tell me that it was the prototype that they used to build into the RT198. Of course I asked him if it was going to be for sale to which he told us that it was his supervisors boat and that he worked at Ranger.

He said it was not for sale.

I thought it would be cool to have an RT188 with a pad hull under it, but I guess that won't be happening. Just thought it was cool and that I would share the story. I hadn't heard that they had used the RT188 to prototype the pad hull for the 198.

We were fishing the infamous boat jumping cove of when the Bass Elites were here and fished the dual lake edition.

I wonder how much better an RT188 would be with the pad hull under it. Guess I should have asked for a ride.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

Dude I'm just jealous you live in my favorite town in the country and get to have those encounters lol

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    A RT188 with a pad hull would go 4.1037 mph faster and draft 3.261 more inches.��
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    A RT188 with a pad hull would go 4.1037 mph faster and draft 3.261 more inches.��
    That's funny. Are you serious Clark? 4.1067mph and 3.261 inches

I worked with a couple guys in my last job in engineering gas valves/production lines that would have run the numbers like that!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

That's the boat Ranger should of made to begin with. RT188 Pad hull.

Quote Originally Posted by croix-man View Post
    That's the boat Ranger should of made to begin with. RT188 Pad hull.
    Man you Ranger guys never satisfied!!!

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

7. Member
    I'll predict it will become a reality. Just sayin LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by krr6581 View Post
    Man you Ranger guys never satisfied!!!
    But,but,but fit and finish......

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    I'll predict it will become a reality. Just sayin LDS
    Agree

I would venture to say it won't. Unlike the people on this forum, the vast majority of tin owners out there I don't think could tell you what type of hull is under their boat. The 188 isn't the flagship for Ranger Aluminum any more. It still sells extremely well for its price point. It is priced very competitively with its competition. Redesigning its hull, adding to its manufacturing cost, will increase its price and could push the cost conscious buyer to competitor products.

Yeah I have to agree with Skeeter. The pad hull on that RT188 was just a test boat to figure out the handling characteristics they could expect in the RT198. There is an issue that has to be considered here with the current 188. Many new RT188 owners are new boat owners for the first time. They have never driven a boat and are learning how to properly operate the boat they buy. The Modified V Hull is pretty easy to get used to and learn how to drive. Yet, you put a first time boat owner on a pad hull and that is a different story. The handling characteristics are hugely different and an inexperienced boater could find himself in a situation that could be pretty scary. Even at 45 to 50 mph someone who experiences chine walking with a pad hull who has no experience may get one heck of a scare. There are differences in how you have to drive a pad hull and the 188's current design is the safest hull for the overall individual looking for a first time boat but who doesn't want to spend the big bucks of a glass rig.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 ProXS 4Stroke Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 21P
    Minn Kota 80lb Thrust Ultrex.
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Humminbird Helix 10 DI G4N W/FFS @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 DI G4N @ Bow
    Humminbird Helix 9 SI G4N @ Console
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

12. Member
    I don't understand why people want a RT188 with a pad hull. An RT188 with a pad hull is an RT198P.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

Smoother ride, better handling, easy to drive, better fuel economy, doesn't get hung on stumps as easy. Don't get me wrong I completely see the cost side of it. For me I'd knock it down a few inches in length , leave the 115 hp rating and put a pad under it. But I've had something along those lines before it was just a little narrower. Really fun little boats. But with the sales numbers and reviews of the current RT188 it seems to be just fine the way it is.

14. Member
    I don't think a 115 would be enough to get a 188 on pad. Look at other aluminum pad hulls and the 17' models will take a 115.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS