Roller bearing maintenance

Can anyone tell me what the proper method for cleaning roller bearings is? Ive always cleaned my other bearings in a ultrasonic cleaner but I have never done anything with my roller bearings. Feel like it may be time to clean some of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

2. Banned
    Just make sure there is no dirt in them. They are usually well protected where they are. Wipe any excess lube off them with a lint free cloth. When installing the sleeve that rides in there I use a very thin amount of grease on it. Really that's about it. Do not remove that bearing and soak it in anything as you can ruin it, nor use an excessive amount of grease.

3. Member
    All I have ever done to mine at reel cleaning time is put a little oil on a hard tip QTip and run it around inside a few times. It has worked well for 16 years now.

4. Member
    Thats how I have been doing it as well. Just wasn't sure if that was the proper way after reading that they should be dry on another post.

Dry is fine, just the tiniest amount of oil if you insist. Its actually functions more as a brake than a bearing anyhow.
    Ranting incoherently

hard q-tip but just dip it in isopropyl alchohol and clean the rollers off...no oil or grease of any kind

7. Member
    Not sure what kind of reel you have, but be careful, the bearings can pop out, and you'll have to get another. Don't ask how I know

8. Member
    Clean with Q tip and alcohol then soak it in alcohol for a while then air dry then apply a little reel oil when putting reel back together. Been cleaning my own reels ever yr for many yrs now and they all perform like new. Takes about one hr to take reel apart and give it a good cleaning.