Moving from 24V to 36V System

I currently have a 24V 80 lbs Maxxum on a 2005 Triton TR20X and plan to upgrade to a 112 36V Ultrex and 4 bank charger system. I have a few questions around the installation process.

Can i just swap the 3 bank for a 4 bank, insert 3 batteries into series, install trolling motor, pedal, ipilot, and move on?

I assume there are power wires that run from the front to back of the boat. Am I able to use the existing wiring instead of running new stuff?

I would love an explanation of the steps I need to take to make this change, especially around the wiring.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Most likely, you've got it. If your current wiring is 6AWG, and your breaker is 60A, you are set for sure. If your equipment is different you need to look into the requirements of your new motor.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    If the Triton has 8AWG wire Minnkota shows it is fine too (being no more than 25' one-way)

4. Member
    Your Triton should have 6ga wires already. Just do what you indicated in the original post and you should be fine. You might check that your breaker is big enogh.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC44 View Post
    I currently have a 24V 80 lbs Maxxum on a 2005 Triton TR20X and plan to upgrade to a 112 36V Ultrex and 4 bank charger system. I have a few questions around the installation process.

Can i just swap the 3 bank for a 4 bank, insert 3 batteries into series, install trolling motor, pedal, ipilot, and move on?

I assume there are power wires that run from the front to back of the boat. Am I able to use the existing wiring instead of running new stuff?

I would love an explanation of the steps I need to take to make this change, especially around the wiring.

Thanks,

Chris
    Check out my utube video on Triton 24v to 36volt channel. You see step by step.

6. Member

Following

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Someone told me this some time back and I didn't believe them until working it out for myself: A 24v 80lb is going to be putting more strain on your wiring and breaker than the 36v 112 - you'll be fine! Volts * amps = watts where watts are the "real" power output. You're increasing the voltage by 50% here but only increasing the "wattage" by 40%, so you'll have less amps traveling down your wiring. It should be more efficient too!

Compare the max amperages for the 24v and 36v Fortrex and Ultrex to verify.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated