Two Questions, Losing PVS Plugs and Horrible Hole-shot Tempest+ 25 at 3.5" under pad

A couple of things... been testing a few props lately based on recommendations from members and searching on what other folks have run on this boat.

1997 Ranger 492VS Freshly Rebuilt(20+ hours now) 225EFI 3.5" below pad, 6" jackplate. Here's a link to my last post looking for advice just for reference http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=772398

First issue is I've been out a couple of times and have been blowing out my PVS plugs from two props I've run. Has anyone else had this issue? Plugs seem to be in good without issue and they disappeared a couple of times so far. One of the times I spun a hub so no sure if that counts because it rev'd up super high and they were completely closed plugs. This has occurred on a 25P Trophy A45 and now a 25P Tempest Plus.

Next Issue… Prop Selection
    24P Trophy, ok hole shot but top end is super slow, max 58 mph GPS 5800 to 5900 RPM even with Jackplate 3.5” below pad… this will most likely just stay as my back up prop or I’ll sell it

25P Trophy A45, great hole shot, top end MAX is around 60 MPH/62 MPH with a light load GPS 5800 to 5900 RPM on a good day with Jackplate 3.5” below pad… I have seen other members work this prop to do 72 MPH when worked

25P Tempest Plus, hole shot SUCKS. I had 4 of the small hole PVS plugs in and by the end of the day there was only one and it seemed the hole shot got worse. So that was 3 with no plugs and 1 with a small hole PVS. Top speed was around 68 mph GPS, 5800 to 5900 after running the boat up to speed

In all cases of the above I was trimmed up, ride was stable. Just want to see if it would be best to work the Trophy A45 or what do I have to do to make the hole shot better on the 25P Tempest Plus as its where I want to be. Either way I’ll get either of the two worked as they are both used and need a tune up.

Thanks in advance for the help…

2. Member
    anyone on either of these issues?

Anyone else have problems loosing PVS plugs?

I see a few other trends on the Tempest Plus being a lug but less the 2 plugs or all plugs shouldn't my 225EFI be able to spin it up at take off?

3. Member
    I run closed plugs on my 225 efi and I've never lost one. That 25 tempest 3 blade with three large plugs should be the right prop unless your running at high altitude.

I have Tempest Plus 25P on my boat and it's a heavy boat like a Ranger. I also have a 225 EFI and even with 2 cylinders having 88 psi and the rest just having barely 90 psi, I can still get 70 gps. Run a compression check on your motor, something doesn't sound good. Just my thoughts.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex