Console bouncing a bit when hitting the waves

I was in some 10-15 mph winds. My new RT188C took the waves as expected for a tin boat but the console seemed to bounce a lot when holding the steering wheel and hitting the waves. It was a lot more than I was expecting. When I got home, I tried moving the console by hand. It is fairly bouncy. All of the support is at the back of the console. Seems like it could use a stiff bracket on the side of the console. Anyone else experience this? Or is it not a worry? Seems like it may be a problem down the road especially fishing Kentucky Lake a lot when it is windy most of the time.

You are going to get just a bit of flex in a cantilevered console. If it were not heavy fiberglass it would be unacceptably flexible. A brace would indeed stiffen it more but unnecessary I believe and would ruin the open floor design. It is sure nice to slide in and out of the seats without having to work your legs around a brace.

I would check the screws holding the console in position. Mine are not spongy. Screws are in front of the console. There is a thread on here about where they are and how to find them. I would check them.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

4. Member
    His C model is a little different . The console is not directly bolted to the front deck . From what it looks like , the console on the C model is bolted on to its own platform which I would assume is bolted to the front deck , sidewall and floor . Just my guess at it .

It's all good !
    2016 Ranger RT188 White
    Yamaha 115 sho
    motorguide Xi5 80 with pinpoint gps
    Lowrance elite 5 ti with total scan console
    Lowrance hook 5 bow

Quote Originally Posted by Trusty Rusty View Post
    His C model is a little different . The console is not directly bolted to the front deck . From what it looks like , the console on the C model is bolted on to its own platform which I would assume is bolted to the front deck , sidewall and floor . Just my guess at it .
    Good info to know. I did not know that, assumed they were the same. Will have to check one out if ever close to one.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

6. Member
    Mine always feels loose since day one. I've checked the bolts many times but it has felt this way from new. My passenger console is rock sold though. Doesn't make sense.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti

On the C model, unscrew the tool holders on the front of the console. The lag screws are underneath the tool holders. Tighten them up. My C model console was loose from the factory. Tightened the screws and life is good!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimco View Post
    On the C model, unscrew the tool holders on the front of the console. The lag screws are underneath the tool holders. Tighten them up. My C model console was loose from the factory. Tightened the screws and life is good!
    I may just need an extra set of hands to pick up a little on mine while I tighten it down. That may do the trick.
    2017 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS opti