Anyone with a MG Xi5 on their Z7?

Looking for any tips, hints, or tricks when it comes to the install. I've ordered the MG Universal Quick Release Mounting Bracket 8M0095972 so I can still use my 70lb pro series. Just not sure if everything is going to work.

Thanks.

I have that set up on my 482.
    I paid to have it put on so I don't have many tips for you.
    You will need another top part of the mount if you just want to switch back and fourth with your old motor.
    Watch the angle you mount it. It over hangs and will hit the roller when launching.
    They way mine was installed I have to take it off and lay it on the deck then launch and put it back on.
    Not the end of the world but I'd rather not have to do it.
    That is also a sliding mount. Well not really sliding but it moves back.
    Pay attention if you want to use that .
    Mine was mounted to far back so I can't move it to the next position.
    Hope this helps some.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Thank you. Would you happen to have some pictures?

4. Member
    Here's my build - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=622125

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    Here's my build - http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=622125

Good Luck.

-Jonathan

I don't have any install pics.
    I responded to your other post. The link above is pretty much it just with a different mount.
    Look at mounting it as far back as you can, then open the handle pick up the mount and move it forward.
    Make sure the shaft doesn't hit the rub rail.
    Anthrax

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping the MG mount I ordered atleast matches with some of he holes my pro series has left behind from its mounting plate.

7. Member
    I use the MG Universal Quick Release Mounting Bracket on my Z8 to switch between using a MG Xi5 and MK Maxxum trolling motors. You need to buy and additional quick release top plate for each trolling motor, unless you want to unbolt and rebolt the top plate every time you switch trolling motors. Bought another top plate yesterday to be used to mount an MK Ultrex. The bracket works very well and is strong. The bottom plate bolts onto existing bow MG/MK trolling motor holes and the top plate will bolt onto MG and MK trolling motors. Your Z7 is like my Z8 and you will probably have to cut about a half inch off the length of the release lever on the bottom plate so that it will clear the bow panel when you open and close it. No big deal.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.
    2017 Ranger Reata 223F, Mercury 150 Four Stroke, HDS12 Gen3, TotalScan, and Xi5

That's good to hear because I didn't want to worry about sealing existing holes. Also, I'm not sure I understand the part about trimming the release lever but probably because I don't have the mount in front of me. Thank you!

Curious, how do you plug in your Xi5? Did you use the red rectangular adapter or did you just put on a 4 prong plug that comes with most other trolling motors?
    Quote Originally Posted by texasfisher View Post
    I use the MG Universal Quick Release Mounting Bracket on my Z8 to switch between using a MG Xi5 and MK Maxxum trolling motors. You need to buy and additional quick release top plate for each trolling motor, unless you want to unbolt and rebolt the top plate every time you switch trolling motors. Bought another top plate yesterday to be used to mount an MK Ultrex. The bracket works very well and is strong. The bottom plate bolts onto existing bow MG/MK trolling motor holes and the top plate will bolt onto MG and MK trolling motors. Your Z7 is like my Z8 and you will probably have to cut about a half inch off the length of the release lever on the bottom plate so that it will clear the bow panel when you open and close it. No big deal.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckma03 View Post
    Curious, how do you plug in your Xi5? Did you use the red rectangular adapter or did you just put on a 4 prong plug that comes with most other trolling motors?
    I used a 4 prong plug that mates with the 4 prong socket that came with my Nitro Z8. These Nitro 4 prong plugs and sockets are made by Tracker Marine. You can get them at the Boat Service Department at Bass Pro Shops. There are other 4 prong plugs that look like these but they don't work with the Nitro 4 prong sockets that come in Nitro boats.
    2017 Nitro Z21, 300XS, 24p Fury and Bravo1 XS 26p & 27p, 12' Talons, Gen3 12's, SonicHub2, 3DScan and 112 Ultrex and Fortrex.

Thank you. Would you happen to have a part number? I've been looking for one without luck.

12. Member
    Eckma03, I bought another Motor Guide Quick Release top plate to mount an Utrex onto the bottom plate. During the mounting, the little lever arm was difficult to move and I wound up breaking the plastic locking mechanism in the bottom plate. I gave the MG Quick Release bracket a good rating in my post above but now I must warn you not to turn that lever arm to hard or yours may break as well. I probably did not have the top plate with the Ultrex on it positioned properly. I was in a hurry to get it mounted. So be careful using that lever. I had to get a new bottom plate. They should use aluminum or steel for the locking mechanism, not plastic.

13. Member
    Thank you. Would you happen to have a part number? I've been looking for one without luck.
    I don't have a part number but you have to buy it from Tracker Marine. I bought identical looking 4 prong plugs from Cabelas and Academy and neither of them would plug into the socket. I was told they were special 4 prong plugs sold only by Tracker Marine for Nitro boats. The plug manufacturer is Marinco.
    Last edited by texasfisher; 03-26-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Texasfisher, thank you for the info. I'll be careful with the locking mechanism. I almost purchased the academy brand plug so I'm glad I didn't. I'll look for the Marinco but for now I'm going to just pull off the plug from my old MG until I get it. Thanks again!

15. Member
    Texasfisher, thank you for the info. I'll be careful with the locking mechanism. I almost purchased the academy brand plug so I'm glad I didn't. I'll look for the Marinco but for now I'm going to just pull off the plug from my old MG until I get it. Thanks again!
    That's what I initially did also. But every time I switched from using the Xi5 to using the old MG I also had to switch out the 4 prong plug. If your not close to a Bass Pro Shop you can order them through their Tracker boat parts department. They just need to know the serial number of your Z7. I think I paid like $25 for the Nitro plug.

Ordered it today and will be in tomorrow. Thanks!

Update on the install. The MotorGuide Quick Release Bracket worked great. I had to modify it slightly to fit and drill two holes in it and did not have to drill any more holes in the boat.

On the water the Xi5 was awesome. The pedal does take some getting used to, but I mostly use the remote. The anchor mode is absolutely amazing. I was skeptical how good it was going to be but I was pleasantly surprised. We had a sustained wind of 15mph with gusts of 25-30 and the Xi5 kept me on the same spot regardless of the changing wind. It was incredible.

If anyone needs to know anything more about my install please ask.

Update on the install. The MotorGuide Quick Release Bracket worked great. I had to modify it slightly to fit and drill two holes in it and did not have to drill any more holes in the boat.

On the water the Xi5 was awesome. The pedal does take some getting used to, but I mostly use the remote. The anchor mode is absolutely amazing. I was skeptical how good it was going to be but I was pleasantly surprised. We had a sustained wind of 15mph with gusts of 25-30 and the Xi5 kept me on the same spot regardless of the changing wind. It was incredible.

Your going to love it
    Anthrax

19. Member

Did you have to shorten the length of the bracket's quick release lever a little bit to clear the plastic bow panel when you open and close it? I had to on my Z8.

Yep, sure did.