Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hummingbird Mega vs RayMarine Axiom?

Why would you choose one over the other based on what we know so far on these units? Axiom has no buttons- all touch functionality. Can that be problematic in any way?

2. PECo
    Touch screens have come a long way. I've only seen Garmin touch screens being used in the rain, but they worked perfectly. I'd bet that Raymarine has that worked out, too.

its the future, no buttons needed here.
    "The Green Machine!"

1998 ProCraft 200 BASS
    1998 Mariner EFI 200 HP 2.5
    4 Blade Trophy 24P

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Axiom for me. 3 year warranty, product support 10 years after production.
    They don't come out with a new unit every 2 years so that you feel like you have to upgrade.
    Great customer service. Max of 10 day turn around.

5. Member
    With as big as Raymarine is in the salt market I'd venture to say the Axiom is top notch. I highly doubt the touch screen in the rain would be an issue but time will tell.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Why would you choose one over the other based on what we know so far on these units? Axiom has no buttons- all touch functionality. Can that be problematic in any way?
    The only thing I've ever broke on my iPad was a button.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    With as big as Raymarine is in the salt market I'd venture to say the Axiom is top notch. I highly doubt the touch screen in the rain would be an issue but time will tell.
    Id agree with that. Raymarine is not new to the marine industry at all. Im sure they arent coming into the freshwater game with weak stuff. Axiom looks legit for sure. They might end up on my boat here in a month. Im without units currently and they are one of two brands Im looking at. Lots of different options with Raymarine and what they offer. Very intriguing for sure.

8. Banned
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=769737

I've had all touch for almost 2 years and loved it. I actually added the grid to my setup in case I needed buttons. I've never used it. Axiom has a button add on as well.

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    The Axiom has a blue tooth remote with buttons or an phone/tablet app for remote viewing, or controls.
    I'm sure humminbird offers one also.

10. Banned
    humminbird is actually throwing in a free remote with the purchase of a helix or solix. the solix already has touch and buttons so it's a big redundant imo. also the iphone tablet apps are not created equal. most simply allow you to view the unit, not control it

11. Member
    Raymarine has (2) apps
    1. RayView for viewing
    2. RayRemote for controlling

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    humminbird is actually throwing in a free remote with the purchase of a helix or solix. the solix already has touch and buttons so it's a big redundant imo. also the iphone tablet apps are not created equal. most simply allow you to view the unit, not control it

Hate touch screens but guess eventually I will have to own them. I have a hard enough time keeping screens clean during the day to be able to see them without adding smudged fingerprints all the time. Fingerprint smudges in bright sunlight would be tough to see thru.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Hate touch screens but guess eventually I will have to own them. I have a hard enough time keeping screens clean during the day to be able to see them without adding smudged fingerprints all the time. Fingerprint smudges in bright sunlight would be tough to see thru.
    Again, no experience here but I would think these new units with touch screens have a different screen than my old 899. I guess we'll find out

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Again, no experience here but I would think these new units with touch screens have a different screen than my old 899. I guess we'll find out
    I can't speak for Raymarine units but my Lowrance Elite7Ti has a touchscreen and it rarely gets dirty the screen is much clearer and of a different "material" than non-touch units...it also works flawlessly in rain,cold,snow,easy to see in sun,etc....even works with gloves on!...wish my cell phone touchscreen worked as well as it does.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

15. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Can't say my A, E, or ES stays clean, but never has effected the touch portion on them. It hard to keep water off them casting and pulling in Hugh 1Ib fish!!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    Raymarine has (2) apps
    1. RayView for viewing
    2. RayRemote for controlling
    why would you not combine them?

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar

18. Member
    1. Apps are free, so cost isn't an issue
    2. Some people want to view or allow others to view screens, but don't want people jacking with their settings. RayView allows this.

QUOTE=TroyBoy30;8255625]why would you not combine them?[/QUOTE]

19. Banned
    understood.
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 03-24-2017 at 10:08 AM.

20. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Looks like the Old TroyBoy is back!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast