Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer tire explanation wanted

What would cause the wear I see on all 4 of my tires? The specific area I'm referring to is between the Goodyear label and the tread. It's wear that goes around the whole tire, and is present on all 4 trailer tires. I don't have a problem with the tires, just curious. Thanks.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

That is from turning a tandem trailer... It's called scrubbing... This tire must be 15 years old. You might consider some new ones soon.

After reading slower, I don't think that is rubbing, Or the small letters would be rubbed off. Were the tire super low and squatting/bulging the side walls?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Dry rot?
    Please release me,let me go.

4. Member
    Ether your running with not enough pressure, or its just a water line.
    Have you been running wet or gravel roads recently?

5. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Hitting fender?

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Ancient tires is your first problem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Time for rubber my friend. Simple as that they look dried out from the picture. Save your self some grief go tire shopping.

8. Banned
    The brownish color is "wax" that bled to the surface. It will bleed faster in areas that flex more (the area showing in the picture). Underinflation will accelerate this process greatly.
    Antiozonants are added to rubber compounds to protect the rubber from ozone. It's like a wax that bleeds to the surface to create a layer of protection from ozone.
    Believe it or not, when you clean your tires, you are removing the protective coating, but modern tires will generally wear out long before ozone can do much damage.

9. Member
    The problem is outlined in white

10. Member
    Thanks guys. I did have to add significant air to these tires. I just traveled over 1600 miles last week with these tires and they ran great! I filled them to 57psi and ran around 72mph. The boat is basically new to me and I believe these are the original tires (2005), but the boat was stored indoors and only had 50 hours on it when I purchased it. I will be looking for new tires, but I was curious as to what that was.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    Thanks guys. I did have to add significant air to these tires. I just traveled over 1600 miles last week with these tires and they ran great! I filled them to 57psi and ran around 72mph. The boat is basically new to me and I believe these are the original tires (2005), but the boat was stored indoors and only had 50 hours on it when I purchased it. I will be looking for new tires, but I was curious as to what that was.
    You should post a picture of the tread...

From what you just added, its probably low pressure damage combined with age.

A picture of the tread could confirm they were run with low pressure though.
    The outside of the tread will have an unnatural rounded edge and lots of tread left in the centre if they were really abused.

12. Member
    Here you go LittlePech. This is one tire, 3 different pics of that tire.

13. Member
    You are lucky with tires that old to be able to make a 1600 mile trip like that. My boat trailer only sits outside when in use. I have had major internal tire failure on 3 year old tires on two separate sets[QUOTE

Would add a picture of tire but have not figured out if I'm doing it right or not.

Last edited by Tromanoski; 03-24-2017 at 08:29 PM.

14. Member
    Definitely low pressure run...

On the second picture, where the main tread joins the side part.
    You can see how its rounded over, the further you go to the outside there the less tread you have.

I'd say take the trailer in for an alignment when you get new tires...
    There a lot of strange ware there, low pressure, age... Wouldn't surprise me of they are angled out a bit.

15. Member
    Dang I wish they still made them this good...my first set lasted 9years.....replaced only because I was going on a 1 way 13hour trip

16. Banned
    The tires in the pics are ozone damaged (weather checked), and way too old to run anymore.
    If those tires are truly as old as the trailer, then DON'T touch the trailer alignment. You have gotten unbelievable life and treadwear out of a 16 year old set of trailer tires.

17. Member
    Thank you for the input guys. Like I said, the boat and trailer only had 50 hours on it when purchased. They literally look brand new and the marina that inspected it couldn't believe it was a 2005 given the condition. I'm guessing the tires just sat on the trailer all those years. I towed it back from Alabama and then went to Texas and back on those tires, and now I'm glad I made it without incident. As I said, I'll replace all the tires.

*The spare is the same tire and has never been used, should I trash that as well?

18. Banned
    Buy 5 tires; they're way too old.

19. Member
    I had the same exact tires until last week, they were the original tires on my trailer when I bought it new in February 05. Been all over Ga, SC and Alabama. I hope I get good service from the new ones.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nix03 View Post
    I had the same exact tires until last week, they were the original tires on my trailer when I bought it new in February 05. Been all over Ga, SC and Alabama. I hope I get good service from the new ones.
    What tires did you go with?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast