Erik L.

Canada Trip - Need Lake Trout Advice

Dudes (and ladies), I've had the opportunity come along to make a trip up to Canada the first week of June for some camping, hiking, canoeing and most importantly, fishing. Unfortunately, my preferred species will still be off limits, so no smallmouth or largemouth can be 'targeted' while on the water.

About the only thing in season, as I understand it, is lake trout and other trout species.

I have zero trout experience, and intend to fish spinning gear. I'll take any advice on finding and catching northern trout you folks might have. I will not have electronics...Just going old school in a canoe.

Thanks - Erik
    www.lds.org
    Wishin' I was Fishin'

2. Member
    Depth is kind of important fishing for lakers. They like cold water, June is considered spring up there and my guess is you'll need to target 15+ fow. Trolling is probably best but since you're in a canoe probably not feasible. You can catch them with many of the same lures you'd use for bass. Blade baits, spoons, white or silver tubes, 5" white or silver single tail grubs on a jighead, baitfish pattern swimbaits (4-5" at least) etc.

They're big fish and will eat pretty big baits, if you happen to be there during a mayfly hatch you can really get 'em. I've not fished up there very often but one year on a trip with my dad we caught quite a few during the mayfly hatch on Heddon Sonars for some reason.

3. GROWING OLD WITH GRACE DA TOAD's Avatar
    Where in Canada are you going?....that is essential information to get you replies.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

I've only caught one Lake Trout, and that was while dropshotting a 3" Senko...for Smallmouth. It was in 20'+ and I was just dragging the weight (1/2 oz would be good) and letting the Senko fall after a drag...pretty much ideal for a Senko, hook about 24" up the leader. The Lake Trout was a big disappointment. Fought a bit better than a Walleye, but nowhere like a SM of the same weight.

Standard advice on *most* lakes they live where you have to fish artificials is going to be white tubes - you're trying to imitate the smelt they eat - but knowing where you're fishing will help folks help you. Bigger twin tail grubs, flukes, and swim baits will all work as well for soft plastics. White and white/blue are going to be suggested colors, though if it's a place that receives a lot of pressure don't be afraid to try other colors. I caught my biggest on a pumpkinseed tube while everyone else got skunked throwing white stuff. Spoons work great as well, as will lipless crankbaits. If you're not familiar with what a smelt looks like, Google for some photos. If you have something that'll mimic that, you should catch them.

I'll echo others that water temp is everything. Ideally you'll find temps in the 50s (or lower?) and you'll be able to catch them shallower.

As for the fight: They really, really, like cold water. Hook one through the ice and they'll blow your mind. In warmer water the fight is a lot less impressive.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    we use ciscos. it a frozen minnow. fish them in 40-60 feet of water. 1/2 oz sinker 2-4 feet up on the line. we also use white tube jigs with meat on the hook. just verticle jig it

7. Erik L.
    Quote Originally Posted by DA TOAD View Post
    Where in Canada are you going?....that is essential information to get you replies.
    Ragged Lake area - Algonquin Provincial Park

We'll start at 'The Portage Store" in the park, paddle down Smoke, and then camp on Ragged just to the south of that. I think that's the plan...
    www.lds.org
    Wishin' I was Fishin'

8. Member
    sent you a pm