how to find a shad spawn

What do you guys look for? Ive stumbled across them many times over the years but for no rhyme or reason. Never been able to find a pattern of where they spawn at, is it just one of those things that you get lucky and stop at the right spot??

2. Member
    Some of the best areas are rip rap and dock walls. Any emergent vegetation is also good.

3. Member
    Shad like to spawn around hard cover or structure, so docks, seawalls, rocks, etc...

4. Member
    What kind of water temp are you looking for? Seems to occur right around the bass spawn (58-62ish)... Will this occur at any other times or water temps? Thanks

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    What do you guys look for? Ive stumbled across them many times over the years but for no rhyme or reason. Never been able to find a pattern of where they spawn at, is it just one of those things that you get lucky and stop at the right spot??
    On kerr lake i believe when that water hits 70 you have a good shad spawn going on.

6. Member
    The shad spawn usually finds me. On my crankbait around rock and seawalls at the end of April-May

7. Member
    When the shad are spawning you will see them following your bait. Usually occurs right around when the bass spawn. It can be great fishing if you find the right spot and it is usually an early bite.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info gentlemen