Thread: hair jig

hair jig

i think i am missing something, would bear hair be better if i can get it colored?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love everything about it.... Except the hook. I prefer a round bend.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post

i think i am missing something, would bear hair be better if i can get it colored?
    Well kind thin on the hair. It should look close to this:
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

4. Member
    Have to tie another one

I think less is more with a jig like that... Looks great to me.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    I agree with 21XDC, less hair is better with a jig like that. I have tied hair jigs for a very long time and when I use rubber or silicone with the hair I have more success with less hair. You still have the subtle action but the silicone will give you the bulk without making it too large, remember that hair is a finesse presentation for the most part. I'm not sure on the size of that jig but cutting the weed guard that short, along with a heavy wire hook is going to make hook sets difficult unless the jig is heavier and you intend to use casting gear with heavy line, but that defeats the purpose of a hair jig in my opinion. It looks really good and is good with material density for a combination hair/silicone jig.

7. Member
    It's kind of a heavy jig but small, i found a hair jig just like it in a tournament one morning started using it and it was unreal. just need the weight to flip. i think that if i had fine skirt material that would be better

On my silicone bear hair jigs I use a pinch of hair.
    Can post a picture but don't want to highjack your post.
    Paul

PROUD BBC SPONSOR

9. Member
    Paul post away I am interested in trying bear hair, is it better than using bucktail

10. Member
    Paul post away I am interested in trying bear hair, is it better than using bucktail
    Bucktail is more about profile than action, it has a subtle movement along with a profile when wet that mimics a baitfish perfectly. Bear is coarse and makes for a bulkier profile when wet compared to bucktail. Bear hair is a good option for larger jigs used for finicky fish as it will slow the fall of the jig better than other types of hair.

11. Member
    In cold water I have not found anything that works as good as bear hair. To qualify when I say cold I mean 33-39 degree water.

Allen