Thread: Bixpy Jet

Bixpy Jet

This was featured in the new Bassmaster in the yak section. Look it up on youtube.....it's REALLY cool. It's a motor that can adapt to virtually any yak and looks simple and easy. It costs about a grand, but it can be mounted on a cheap yak and still be under what a premium pedal powered ride would cost.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

That is pretty neat

3. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I may add one if I fish bigger waters often. Been speaking with Bixpy about it so we will see.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

4. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    I looked at the link, not impressed. For my kayak (Hobie PA) it says at high speed it will do 5.5 MPH for 1 hour. Med speed does 4.5 MPH for 3 hours. That limits my range to under 3 miles (@ full power, who wants to run slow). For $1100.00 plus another $200 for a battery, it is not something that would be of value to me. As with most manufacturer claims I would be willing to bet their stated results were obtained with a new fully charged battery, a 150# kayaker with no tackle. So "real world" results may vary? I'd bet on it. I can pedal my PA with a full load of tackle and my 300# carcass in the seat and get 5.5 mph (GPS). I can't maintain it for an hour but I can do 4 MPH without too much effort and maintain it. I think a better option would be a torquedo or a short shaft regular trolling motor, especially if using it for a full day, if you want a powered option. Check you state regulations, adding power to your yak may require a boating registration, numbers and all. That jet will get ooohs & ahhs at the lake, neat gimmick, but I do not see it as practical. But then I have a Mirage Drive propulsion system in my Hobie and not paddling.

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    The Torqeedo is twice the price, but a nice system minus how loud it is.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

6. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    The torquedo has similar range, not near enough range on either one for me. Hobie makes a powered drive that fits in the Miriage Drive well, but as with every Hobie option is overpriced at $2100. Electric powered propulsion would be a great option for someone that is handicapped and gets them on the water, but if you are healthy I don't think electric power is necessary or practical due to limited range.