2009 Merc 25hp 4-stroke EFI

Hey all I just wanted to throw this out there to maybe get a little more input. Purchased the boat 2.5 years ago and was used minimally until me. I don't use the big motor as much as I probably should being that I primarily fish electric only; however, this year I intend to fish more local waters where I'm allowed to fire up the outboard. Took the boat out for the first time two weeks ago and ran perfect, zero issues. Went out again last Thursday-Sunday and it ran horribly. Initially it wouldn't even plane off, very bogged down, low rpms. After some goofing around I was able to get the rpms up and the boat to run at max speed on plane; however, I noticed some hesitations that seemed to me like misfires. Throughout the weekend the motor would chug and cut out randomly at idle, sometimes could get up on plane at max speed/high rpm, other times not. Overall it still works, but obviously there are issues here and I'm hoping there are simple fixes to this suspected fuel issue.

I opened the fuel filter and noticed some crud in it; naturally I cleaned this out and my mechanic seems to think my fuel line might be delaminating. This weekend I wanted to get new gas in the tank (mind you I always treat the fuel with stabilizer and use seafoam about 3-4 times a season), change the plugs and replace the fuel line.

Being that my plugs were clean at my last winterization, I may just replace the fuel line first and re-evaluate. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    Your plan based on what you see, so go with it. Today's fuel good on plugs, bad for everything else.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely do the lines, bulb, and filters. ALL other maintenance should be up to date, also.

Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor