Thread: Promax prop

Promax prop

I picked up a 29 promax over the winter and finnaly had a chance to run it.Im running a 250xs on a pro 2 seater.with power poles..mid range through top end this is the best prop ive run so far , the problem is the whole shot, it vents to much..i have solid plugs in all 4 holes..it revs to 4600 rpms before it bites..this is a loaded boat 2 peiple 500lbs, full load tackle and full fuel..Is there something i can do or have done to take care of this? thanks for any suggestions.

send to robbie patterson

^^^ Send it to Robbie!^^^
    Brian Schuler
    USMC Retired

A true Hero gets out of bed every morning and goes about lifes daily tasks unnoticed, unassuming, and unsung.

A true Hero takes on responsibility, speaks kindly, acts fairly, endures patiently. And facing every day with simple strength.

A true Hero persists in the things that really matter.

2013 Allison BasSport Pro Elite
    Mercury 250 Sport XS

It spins up similar to a ProET or overhub style prop. Mine spins up to 4600 pretty quick then launches pretty hard and peaks at 5200 when the bow falls. I don't have issues with spin up as long as it is pulling hard but I have ran chopper style for many years. I hear that Robbie can help the prop spin up.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Mercury also makes a blow out ring for these props that will help with the spool up
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

6. Member
    I only have an XB2003 but I have found on most props that I have run and it has been MANY, less throttle when planing off is most of the time better than just mashing it. I get a much quicker hole shot when "feathering the peddle" when needed.
    Last edited by catfish123; 03-23-2017 at 01:57 PM.

7. Member
    Robbie fixed my promax. 100% better.

8. Member
    Ok thanks ill give him a call..i think i may have one of those cav rings somewhere..this one is a lil different then anything else ive run..it seems to slip right from the start revs up to 4600 grabs and goes..the nose really doesnt come up that much..

I just got one . Robbie has worked this one and it still spools . But when it bites it pulls like a freight train .

10. Member
    Yes once it grabs im over 70 in no time..that spool up is what id like to get rid of..maybe im thinking about this wrong..maybe i need to pop a couple of plugs out to let it spool quicker..are you pluging all your vent holes or leaving them open? Are you using a blow out ring? Id like to get this prop dialed in the best i can before i send it to get worked on..

Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    I only have an XB2003 but I have found on most props that I have run and it has been MANY, less throttle when planing off is most of the time better than just mashing it. I get a much quicker hole shot when "feathering the peddle" when needed.
    try this as well. This works well for me on the 300 with 30p wheels and 1.62's. It worked better on Jay's 30 last weekend than just mashing it.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    Yes once it grabs im over 70 in no time..that spool up is what id like to get rid of..maybe im thinking about this wrong..maybe i need to pop a couple of plugs out to let it spool quicker..are you pluging all your vent holes or leaving them open? Are you using a blow out ring? Id like to get this prop dialed in the best i can before i send it to get worked on..
    I run 4 solid plugs with my 250 1.75 gears and im on plane in 3 seconds with a loaded boat solo and about 4 seconds with a passenger then it is a rocket into the high 80's and fishes in the low 90's with ease. I tried different plug configurations and found all solids was best for me.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R