ProTec Restoration kit

I received my restoration kit Wednesaday from Protec that was ordered Monday morning. Haven't used any yet, but it came with detailed instructions and in a cool zippered storage bag. So very impressed so far with delivery and packaging. I will give an update next week after working on the hull over the weekend. Started on some removed decal areas with the 2000 grit last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. BBC SPONSOR
    I'd say that's going to turn out very nice.

3. Member
    You will be impressed with the outcome. I was with mine. And i just used the sealer.

4. Member
    You will find the product works very well. Mine turned out great.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

5. Member

1st coat of sealant complete

Finished sanding, washing nu paint applications and 1st coat of sealant. Most of hull is shining nicely. There are still areas on top of cap that have dull spots? I can also see lots of micro stratches that are concerning. Last boat I restored was white so I don't know if it's just the color or not. Last boat I also used 3M products. Any advise or recommendations welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Banned
    did you buff the areas you sanded? Really, did you buff at all?

7. Member
    Buff it more. It takes some good buffing with a rubbing compound to get it really slick. Go ahead and Buff those dull spots more to. Just be careful not to go thru the paint. The dull spots will grow back pretty fast if you don't get them out

8. Member
    Yes, I buffed and re-buffed especially the areas on top cap. Applied second coat last night. Still have some areas that are not shining as expected. One question, can I apply nu paint over sealant and buff again?

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You may want to wash the dull areas with Dawn soap. Then hit those areas again with 1200, 1500 then 2000. Then buff and apply the Pro-Tec. Some I've done I've had to go to 800 grit.

10. Banned
    Are there any cracks in the areas where you are seeing it dull after buffing? Are those areas near the rub rail? The oxidation could be below the surface. Had that issue on my Gambler.

Also, when you wet sanded what grit did you finish with? Should be 1500 at least, and then buff with a 3000 grit compound. Gel coat is some tough stuff, regular rubbing compound won't always get all of the sanding marks out. You won't buff through it easily like paint, really not at all. It's too thick and hard. Old gel is even harder.

BTW, I used to do boat detailing and restoration.

11. Member
    I used 1000, 1500 and finished with 2000 grit before going to the Protec system nupaint then sealant. Some of the dull areas are around gas tank vent and top cap flat spots. Champion man thanks for advise, I'm goin to try the spot treatments before doing top over again. First I'm going to fish all next week while off Master's week, then I'll resume restoration.