Help with questions on blown VAMX/repowering

I have a 2007 250 VMAX. This past weekend, the #5 & #6 cylinders failed and the motor is now locked.When I pulled the plugs, the #5 & #6 plugs had bits of chunky metal. This was a replacement powerhead that was installed in mid 2013 after the original motor failed due to a fuel pump failure.

I’m going to have to keep my boat for a while so I’m leaning towards repowering with an SHO instead of going with another rebuilt powerhead. I like the comfort of being able to have a 5 year warranty. So I’ve decided that I’m going to park the boat for this season and try to save as much as I can so that I can minimize the amount I finance. But I need a little help with a few questions;

What’s the best way to sell my current motor and what’s it worth? I just dropped a bunch of money on lower motor mounts and lower unit seals and I’ve tried to take care of the motor (which makes this current situation all the more frustrating).

Has anyone purchased from Boats.net? There prices on new SHO’s seem really low.

Does anyone know of any dealer or company that would take my blown motor in as a trade and could sell me a new SHO?

Thanks for any advice!
    Doug

(BTW- I’m sitting on 17 gallons of 2M oil that I’m trying to sell for $28 a gallon if anyone is interested and in the MD/VA region. Went in a drum with some guys over the winter)
    Last edited by MD Doug; 03-23-2017 at 08:07 AM.

2. Member
    The best way to sell it is to part it out, The lower unit will go quick at 12-1500 then the trim/tilt unit. You may get someone who is looking to buy it complete. But price??? If you buy from Boats.net who will install it? Can you do it? If so it is a good deal, if not buy from a installing dealer so there will be no warranty issues. The dealer is the one who will go to bat for you so to speak if you have issues and validate the warranty. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    Did you get a new replacement powerhead from Yamaha in 2013? Or, was the replacement a rebuilt powerhead?

You should at least talk to Chris Carson Marine and Hydrotec about a rebuild of your current engine.

They do this all the time and you should get good results from either of them.

4. Member
    I have a new rebuilt 250 powerhead built by Chris Carson. 0 hours on it, let me know if I can help.

5. Member
    Started parting out a 2006 Optimax 225 with 280 hours, about $1500 dollars into it Blackbird motors called and took the rest for $2100. I put it on a pallet and built a crate, they sent a truck to pick it up.

Purchased a new 250 SHO from Team C&O, they shipped it to a local dealer for install.

I know everyone here pays cash for everything but, from my perspective, if your going to finance, just finance it. Then instead of saving up for a year sitting on the hill, go fishing and make the largest payments you can. Pay it off early and you didn't loose a year on the water.

6. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Hydro Tec's re-man power heads have a 1 year warranty.....

I have had great service from them for years...

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998