G2 Repower questions.....

I have a 20' Viper Coral Fish and Ski ( basically a 20' Viper Cobra bass boat with an extra seat and rated for a 250) with a 200 Johnson Venom on a 6' manual jack plate. This setup has done me fine for 16 years (58-61 GPS w/ 22" Raker) but I have always wanted an injected motor. I am approaching a repower decision. I am eyeing a couple motors - '15 250 (non-HO) G2 or a '13 250 G1 HO, both with 200ish hours.

My questions are:

1) Will I see a significant difference in fuel economy and/or performance between these 2 motors

2) Were there any defects in the "new" G2s I should watch out for?

3) The 250 has a 25" shaft. The owner suggested since I have a jack plate, motor could just be mounted higher on plate and move plate up to get appropriate height....Is this kosher?

4) In your opinion, is it worth the EXTRA $9k for a recreational boater that gets out 3 weeks out of the year tops? I don't care what other guys are saying, I REALLY LOVE the way the color matched side panels would match my boat.... I'm a "matchy" kinda guy. I mean the repower with the G2 will cost more than the whole boat setup did in 2001.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by dentpusher; 03-24-2017 at 06:26 AM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Forget the 25" shaft 250. It just won't perform on a bass boat. It is made for a center console. If you are thinking of the G2 go with a new one and do it soon while Evinrude has their 10 year warranty sales promotion it ends the end end of this month. No "defects" on the G2 it has been a proven performer right out of the box.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Forget the 25" shaft 250. It just won't perform on a bass boat. It is made for a center console. If you are thinking of the G2 go with a new one and do it soon while Evinrude has their 10 year warranty sales promotion it ends the end end of this month. No "defects" on the G2 it has been a proven performer right out of the box.
    May I add you will see a lot better fuel mileage and power from the G2.

4. Member
    Don't forget to send a pic with the new power unit.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

5. Member
    Champ and Ranger, thanks for the input. I REALLY would like to hang a brand new G2 in white with blue and silver stripe on the back, but there are some Pro Staff motors out there with 200 hrs that would save me $10k. OR, I found a dealer with an '11 250 HO G1 @ 166 hrs that would save me an additional $10k over the used G2. That $10k would go a long way toward fuel, new electronics, update wheels on my trailer, maybe new carpet and an iPilot setup.

If you don't factor in aesthetics, fuel use or the quietness of the G2, is there going to be any SIGNIFICANT speed, reliability or performance differences that makes the G2 worth $10k over a G1?

Anyone one else with input please...
    Last edited by dentpusher; 03-24-2017 at 10:11 AM.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The G2 has some very cool features. Select able hot foot/hand control, auto trim, built in hydraulic steering to name a few. The G1 is a great motor as well. From what I've heard the G2 has a much better hole shot and gets you from 0-50 in a hurry. RangerRodney would be the one to ask about the fuel/oil differences. With the G1 you won't need the display you can use the systems check tach. You will need a new wiring harness for your motor if it is prior to 1995 or at least the adapter cable to convert.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    It would cost more initially to go with the G2, and the fuel savings between a G1 and G2 would be minimal, but between what you have now it would seem astronomical....BUT....this is a biggie......@ 600 ft lbs of torque with the G2....I'm betting you will go out more often....

8. Member
    The G2 will get close to 25% better fuel mileage and does not use near as much oil as the G1. As noted the 600 pounds torque that the G2 produces gets u from point a to b very quickly. Ever since I went to the unveiling of the G2 in Wisconsin I have been a huge believer of the G2.