Mega units on plane?

Have fast can you travel on plane before the mega units lose bottom depth. I know I will need a high speed ducer but boat only goes 45 mph at 6000 RPM. I was just wondering if I would need the second transducer though?

2. Member
    Best way to get readings on plane is to install a shoot thru ducer in the bilge area

3. Member
    I am wondering at what speed does the mega ducer lose contact with bottom and quit reading?

Quote Originally Posted by mpd816 View Post
    I am wondering at what speed does the mega ducer lose contact with bottom and quit reading?
    If you install it so it can provide depth/2D sonar at speed, it will.

How well you do that will determine how fast you can go and have good performance.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thank you Wayne. That is what I was looking for. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by mpd816 View Post
    Thank you Wayne. That is what I was looking for. Appreciate it.
    One thing you may want to consider. That transducer is about $350 MSRP. A lot of us do not use a mount location that would expose that expensive transducer to possible impact damage--floating debris, stumps, running aground, etc. We choose to attach the transducer above the hull bottom and either use a shoot-thru for on-plane depth or a much cheaper transom 2D transducer.
    It's your choice for what exposure you are willing to risk.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    That is exactly what I'm doing per Wayne's suggestions. I'm putting a shoot-thru-the-hull Hummingbird XP 14 20 transducer (Item # 710249-1) and then the mega transducer that comes with the Solix on the jack plate using a Transducer Shield and Saver bracket. They both should be fairly safe there, and should give me 2D while under way, and Mega when I'm just idling along, scanning for whatever.

8. PECo
    I have a buddy with a new Nitro Z18 who mounted his MEGA transducer at the bottom plane of his hull. He gets a useful image up to at least 50 miles per hour.

My MEGA transducer is mounted on the center line of my hull above my drain plug, so I get a useful image up to only 5 miles per hour. I have an in-hull sonar-only transducer already mounted, but am still waiting for the correct MEGA splitter cable to arrive, so that I can try it out.

My boat only goes up to 50 miles per hour, so I might end up lowering my MEGA transducer to the bottom plane of the hull. I'm really not too worried about hitting anything with it.

I want to save the BS flag on imaging over 25mph. My experiance is there is not enough return for a usable image over 22. It just doesn't ping fast enough. It is possible but not with a fishing sonar to date. Please post a picture with something usable at a high speed to prove me wrong. Unless your saying 2 d sonar then I get it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PECo View Post
    I have a buddy with a new Nitro Z18 who mounted his MEGA transducer at the bottom plane of his hull. He gets a useful image up to at least 50 miles per hour.

My MEGA transducer is mounted on the center line of my hull above my drain plug, so I get a useful image up to only 5 miles per hour. I have an in-hull sonar-only transducer already mounted, but am still waiting for the correct MEGA splitter cable to arrive, so that I can try it out.

My boat only goes up to 50 miles per hour, so I might end up lowering my MEGA transducer to the bottom plane of the hull. I'm really not too worried about hitting anything with it.
    Only 50! A small floating object (Branch etc.) will tear it up at 50. $350 is a big price to pay. The "Y" cable and 2d transducer is a bunch cheaper and probably less rooster tail.

11. Member
    Apart from the damage considerations, high speed readings is not rocket science. If the transducer is in green water you will get readings. Finding the green water is the challenge and also keeping the transducer out of harms way. My suggestion has always been. Get someone else to drive the boat and you go out back and see where the clear water without bubbles is.
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    My rig isn't near that fast, but I also run a Deep V - if I manage to whack a XDCR - I probably have another ding in the tin ~ or worse...LOL
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I want to save the BS flag on imaging over 25mph. My experiance is there is not enough return for a usable image over 22. It just doesn't ping fast enough. It is possible but not with a fishing sonar to date. Please post a picture with something usable at a high speed to prove me wrong. Unless your saying 2 d sonar then I get it.
    ive seen people with usable 2d readings at much higher than that. most don't care about 2d returns at high speed though, just a depth reading

14. PECo
    Yes, I was talking about regular sonar but, "It just doesn't ping fast enough."?!?! You understand that DI, SI and MEGA use higher frequency bands than regular sonar, right? I'm pretty sure that my buddy's DI, SI and MEGA work at speed, too.

I really don't feel any obligation to prove you wrong , but I'll try to remember to get a screen shot the next time I'm on his boat.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    ive seen people with usable 2d readings at much higher than that. most don't care about 2d returns at high speed though, just a depth reading

15. Member
    You won't outrun a sonar
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10