Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talon Remote Programming

I have one talon that programs to my remote but the other talon won't program. Any ideas???? Yes I changed the battery in the remotes that wasn't it.
    2010 Xpress X-19 2010 Yamaha VMAX Series 2 200

2. Member
    2 button or 4 button remote?

3. Member
    2 button remote

4. Member
    It used to work fine just quit working

5. Member
    One of mine did that, bad battery.

6. Member
    You may have to clear the Talons themselves of previously matched remotes, then program both again with the one remote.

7. Member
    To remove all remote codes from a Talon:

1. Retract the anchor if it is not already retracted.
    2. Disconnect the white power lead from the battery.
    3. Press and hold the Auto UP switch on the Talon.
    4. While continuing to press the Auto UP switch, reconnect the white power lead to the battery.
    5. A series of fast beeps will be heard and then a long steady tone.
    6. Release the Auto UP switch after the long steady tone has begun.

All remote IDs should now be erased.

8. Member
    I did that for just that one talon. Maybe I need to do both I don't know

9. Member
    If you bought the Talons new, you should have 4 remotes, 2 each preprogrammed for each Talon. Do you have more than one remote and if so, have you tried other remotes on the Talon that will not program?

10. Member
    I only have 2 remotes they were on the boat when I bought it used

11. Member
    I think something is wrong inside that 1 talon

12. Member

13. Member
    I am going through the same issues with no solutions from my dealer.

These new Bluetooth Talons SUCK!!

14. Member
    Dan M. Clear both Talons then pair the Talons to each other, then pair a remote to just one of the Talons. They'll operate as a set now.

Glenn-leray. Never asked before but sounds like you have the 2nd generation Talon. 3 stage, no deck light on top and white remotes, correct? Those aren't Bluetooth if that's the case. To be safe, I would erase both Talons and then pair a remote to the Talon that works fine. Once that is done, pair the same remote to the second Talon. If it does not pair then yes, there could be an issue with that 2nd Talon. I assume both Talons operate via the buttons on the Talon itself?

15. Member
    So my issue is one Talon works fine and stays paired. Throughout the day, the other stops working with the remote and I have to keep syncing it several times a day. Any ideas on that one?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David Clemenrts View Post
    So my issue is one Talon works fine and stays paired. Throughout the day, the other stops working with the remote and I have to keep syncing it several times a day. Any ideas on that one?
    The only problems I've seen with pairing or staying paired have been solved by erasing the Talons and starting from scratch. If you have already done that and still experiencing an issue, I would suggest you contact either an ISC near you or Minn Kota customer service.

Personally, I would start from scratch completely, I would clear both the remotes and the Talons and od it fully yourself from step one.

Clear Remotes:
    Press and hold the Up button and the Down button on the Remote at the same time until theTalon Selection LEDs on the Remote begin to scroll,release the buttons. The Remote will go into PairingMode for 30 seconds. Once Pairing times out allTalons will be cleared

Clear Talons:
    To remove all remote codes from a Talon:

1. Retract the anchor if it is not already retracted.
    2. Disconnect the white power lead from the battery.
    3. Press and hold the Auto UP switch on the Talon.
    4. While continuing to press the Auto UP switch, reconnect the white power lead to the battery.
    5. A series of fast beeps will be heard and then a long steady tone.
    6. Release the Auto UP switch after the long steady tone has begun.

Now, pair the Talons to each other.
    Retract the anchor on both Talons by pressing the Up button on each Talon.
    b. Once both Talons are fully retracted, press and hold the Up button and the Down button on the Indicator Panel of one Talon. Once the Depth Indication LEDs on the Indicator Panel begins to flash blue, release the buttons. Immediately follow this step on the second Talon.
    c. Once the buttons are released, the Talons are in Pairing Mode and will search for each other for 20 seconds. If they do not Pair after 20 seconds, an error tone will sound signaling that the Pairing has timed out. If this occurs, double check that the Talons are fully retracted and start the process again.
    d. If the Talons successfully Pair, a confirmation tone with three fast beeps will occur. At this point, the Talons have successfully paired, and now need to be programmed to designate the Port or Starboard locations.

Program the location of the Talons.
    The Mode Indicator LED will turn green on both Talons.
    On the Indicator Panel of the Starboard Talon, press the Up button. The Talon will accept the selection.
    The Talon on the Port side will flash red and then the LEDs on both Talons will turn off.
    Now the Talons are successfully Paired together and know their mounted position.

Lastly, pair a remote to a Talon, I usually do the Starboard one but you can pick either one, does not matter.
    Retract the anchor on both Talons by pressing the Up button.
    b. Once both Talons are fully retracted, press and hold the Up button and the Down button on the Remote at the same time until the Talon Selection LEDs on the Remote begin to scroll. After 2 seconds, release the buttons.
    c. Immediately press and hold the Up button and the Down button simultaneously on the Indicator Panel of one Talon. The Depth Indication LEDs will begin to flash blue on both Talons. Once the LEDs are flashing release the buttons on the Indicator Panel. The Talon and Remote will go into Pairing Mode for 20 seconds.
    d. If a tone with three fast beeps occurs, the Talon and Remote have successfully paired. If 20 seconds pass while in Pairing Mode and they do not successfully pair, an error tone will sound signaling that the Pairing has timed out.
    e. If the Pair is unsuccessful, repeat the process.

Last thing. Please be sure your Talons are up to date with software and when using the remote, do not accidentally hit the Talon Selection Button because if unnoticed, you will not realize you selected one or the other Talon versus the paired set. Look at your remote LED's and make sure it doesn't show just the starboard or port only LED.

Hope that helps and you figure it out.

17. Member
    Mark W. How do you update the Talons software. I bought 2 talons from a fishing buddy, 2018 12' new remote talons.

Also, I have a issue coming up that I wonder if you could solve. I did a full reset and the problem is still present. I will explain in a bit.

18. Member
    You can update the Bluetooth Talon by one of two possible options... by downloading software from My Humminbird and then through a Helix / Solix unit or by the Talon mobile phone app. In both cases, the update is applied via the Bluetooth connection so make sure your Talon(s) is paired to either the head unit or phone, depending on which method you choose.

19. Member
    Mark. I updated the software on the 12ft talons and now everything seems to work but I will still explain what was going on.

Okay....

Bought from a buddy, said everything works. Installed on my boat, everything worked great when I took them out for the first time a week ago. Cleaned the boat yesterday morning and tried the talons. They would go down together until they hit the driveway, when I tried to retract, nothing would happen with remotes. I could get them to retract by pushing UP button on talons. When I used the talons UP buttons on both talons, everything would work again, I could drive them to the ground, they would stop and nothing again. The odd part, if I stopped them with the remote before they hit the ground, I could use the remote to retract. The only time both shutdown and unusable with remotes, is when it drove into the ground. To make things interesting, I figured out that the Starboard talon is the one making them have issues when hitting the ground cause when I do them individually with the remotes, the port talon will deploy and retract after hitting the ground, but when I isolate the Starboard talon, I use the remotes to deploy, hits the ground and then I have no remotes use with that talon. Why would this happen after everything just worked 5 days ago, but now I used Bluetooth on my phone to update Talons and it all works like they should.

20. Member
    Only a guess, which is probably dangerous lol, but I would wonder if that Talon needed to go further than the short distance to the ground before it would respond to further Bluetooth commands.

Good news, the update appears to have corrected it. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast