New classic pics ? For BCB on design/build process

So, I saw the teaser pictures of the new classic HEREhttps://www.basscat.com/basscat-medi...ept-to-classic.

There's clearly a lot of "process" between the napkin-drawings and the shaped-out wooden boat, but Im wondering exacly how you use the wooden boat model in the process. It looks to me like a wooden model, with bondo or something similar used to fair the shape and ultimately used as a mold for the top cap--is that correct? Looks like the hull also has some plywood mold pieces, but the only pics are farther along in process--do you also start with plywood mold cross-sections? I imagine you get to a semi-finsihed boat with this process, then maybe make modifications directly onto the prototype boat, and then make a final mold directly off the prototype hull to arrive at the eventual finished product?

Anyway, I imagine the gross process outside of some details are fairly standard and arent proprietary, so any insight into the process of designing and building a first prototype-ish boat like this and then taking it to a finished state that you can share would be super interesting. Thanks!

2. Member
    That thing looks sweet I will see it friday.

If price and performance is right it will be a gamechanger.

Concept to mock up, mock up to finish tool, finished tool to mold, polished mold and waxed to mold product.

That's how it's done.

5. Member
    Pretty cool deck concept, considering you can lay rods down and still open the compartments without moving everything around.

6. Member
    Cannot wait to hear what kind of performance this Classic has.... Really like the size. Narrow beam but skinny gunnels makes that rig look alot bigger. Well done BCB. Going to come down to price I think. Lots of 18-19 foot options in the 150-200 HP range at very competitive prices under 40K or close. Have to see where they place this boat.
    Last edited by MetsFan9; 03-23-2017 at 08:59 AM.

7. Member
    I have looked a few times and in one of the photos it looks like there is molding for it... Is there rear deck storage? I can't quite tell. I see the livewells and the battery storage, as well as what appears to be underseat storage... But can't quite tell on rear deck storage.

That being asked, the boat looks incredible... not surprised at all.

8. Member
    What kind of wood do you use?

9. Member
    Could you imagine the size of 3D printer you would need to mock up a boat? The auto industry still uses clay to model a car. It takes a real craftsman to do what it takes to design a new boat, I can not imagine what it cost to design and build a new model. The prototype boat must be super expensive! Out of curiosity what happens to boat number 1?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Concept to mock up, mock up to finish tool, finished tool to mold, polished mold and waxed to mold product.

That's how it's done.
    BCB, thanks! In those pictures I assume the "wooden boat" we are looking at a mock-up? Or is that a "finished tool"? Or is the mock-up the wooden thing, with the "finished tool" being the one that appears to have bondo and whatnot all faired smooth? Not sure what each of those terms means or what the difference is, so not sure what I'm looking at.

Link isnt working for me

12. Member
    Basscat site must be down, I cant get it here either.

Too much traffic for our host Network Solutions.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njpaulc View Post
    What kind of wood do you use?
    There's no wood in the actual boat. The pics with wood are what I believe they call a plug that they use to make a mold. Maybe BCB can correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    There's no wood in the actual boat. The pics with wood are what I believe they call a plug that they use to make a mold. Maybe BCB can correct me if I'm wrong.
    I meant to build the mock up.

They said it varies on type of wood in areas.